Zeiss Loxia - which focal lengths next?

Who wants to speculate on what Zeiss Loxia lenses will come next?

I'm just thinking of focal lengths for the moment. I believe Zeiss has said there will be (at least) five Loxia lenses, and a US Zeiss manager has said he believes a wide and a tele prime would likely be available by end 2015.

The 35mm and 50mm are already released. I guess the tele prime would be 85mm. That would leave two wide primes to bring the number to five. Which two of these do you think would be most likely?

15mm
18mm
21mm
25mm
28mm

So far they have offered something based on the ZM series, so I hope for a 21mm (slow would be fine by me) and I could also imagine an 85mm. In any case I'm really looking forward to see what they offer next.

I am waiting for the mini Otii for the E mount. 

Zeiss claim they (Otii) are the best that is why I do not want any Loxi which are clearly way below that.

The Otus line is built with no worries about lens size. I think the Loxia line takes that into account.

Overall the grand scheme is, in my opinion, to resuscitate the old Zeiss Ikon in the form of the a7 line and offer a 21st century Leica-like experience.

The Otus line is built with no worries about lens size.

A good lens is the one that would be bought and used.  The size and heft puts off many to even check if those claims are true in practice.

They (Otii) may be the best of current Zeiss.  A pity.

Naturally, this sentiment does not apply to all.

Zeiss tested a Loxia version of the ZM 21mm but it didn't perform the way they wanted it to, at least that is what Dr Nasse (lead tester) told me in person at the Photokina last September.

Personally I hope for a Loxia 15/2.8 with a price tag in line with the existing Loxia lenses to complement my FE 35/1.4, Nikkor 50/1.2 and 125/2.5 APO Lanthar lenses.

A good lens is the one that would be bought and used.  The size and heft puts off many to even check if those claims are true in practice.

They (Otii) may be the best of current Zeiss.  A pity.

Naturally, this sentiment does not apply to all.

You're definitely right. 

Would an Otus find much use on a mirror less camera? They are big and heavy lenses already in a DSLR perspective.

If you are after impeccable technical performance, the FE 1.8/55 might suit you well.

What I would love instead is a Loxia version of the recent Distagon 1.4/35 ZM.

Guest PenGun

What I would love to see is a 50/2 of the Sony FE 28/2.  The current Zeiss disappoints me.  Very sad.

What is it about the FE 55 1.8 you don't like? The pocket Otus is well regarded by many.

According to Zeiss themselves, the two Loxias already designed are adapted straight from ZM versions, but other lenses cannot be, so they will be totally new designs. Hence, my guess, the later release. And also, the lack of guidance fromt he existing ZM wides in terms of what focal length we will see.

They have announced that there will be 2 more by year-end (though the way they phrased it does not mean that it couldn't be earlier), and everybody guesses that means one wide and one short tele. My guess is a 21 and a 85. The 21 wil not be ported from the ZM line, meaning not a Biogon design, but a Distagon, like the great ZE/ZF Distagon. It might also not be small at all, if that is the case. All this is guesswork, of course.

On another subject, there is nothing that says that other Zeiss lenses cannot be in the class of Otus. Such is the case of the new ZM 35 f:1.4 It is simply a matter of specification and cost.