Alternative to Batis 85

Hi,

I'm looking for an alternative to my Batis 85. Though I really love it I'm constantly fighting the 80 cm minimum focus distance and I hate switching lenses just for the purpose of getting 10 or 20 cm closer.

The Sony 90 macro seems to be a reasonable choice but it's "only" a 2.8.

Any ideas? I'm open to use legacy lenses.

Thanks,

Dirk

The only real options would be the 90mm macro or a close focus adaptor between the camera and the lens. I had a look through the top 85mm lenses and they are all seem to have about 0.8m-1m minimal focus distance.

Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro os hsm + laea4/3, 0,3m (1:1), very fast AF, awesome sharpness

Mamiya Sekor C 80mm 1.9 or 2.8 N (0,6m), MF, very very sharp, the 2.8 is very light and has a wonderful and very fast and precise MF helicoid, because it is so sharp MF magnification is not needed

Sony 85mm 2.8 SAL + laea4/3, 0,6m, decent fast AF but good IQ

Zeiss 100/2 should be great for your use!

Btw I'm quite happy with the 90/2.8 also for portrait - but AF is not very fast. (A7s).

When you are close 2.8 is easy fast enough - for full body shots 55/1.8 (50/1.4) would be a good idea ...

forgotten:

Leica Summicron 90mm F2.0

has only 0,7m but best IQ from all lenses i suggested, but MF is not as smooth as with the Mamiya 80mm you can focus as fast and accurate as with AF

i would try the sigma 105mm, it has also OS and is reasonable priced and has very fast and silent AF at 2.8

as the focal length is longer, it has a very small DOF at 2.8!

Just crop closer. The closer you get, more optical distortion you introduce to the subjects.

Very true. I want this "distortion". I don't introduce any kind of distortion which does not exist in real life.

Maybe that's personal taste but I don't like those flat portraits where photographers take their 800mm and sit a mile away from the subject. Just to make sure the nose doesn't appear to be in front of the ears. ;-)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Totally missed the Sigma 105 though a friend owns it (Canon) and I can easily give it a try.

If I can get hold of the Leica 90mm or Mamiya 80mm 1.9 I'd try them first. Does the Summicron-M fit on a Voigtländer close focus adapter?

The distance to the subject and the focal length are much more important for DOF than f-stop. (maybe this is helpful for you to check your possibilities)

IF you want to shoot closer than 85cm and with a FL around a portrait lens, the 90/2.8 is a great choice. It has a very nice bokeh, no distortion and good colors.

The following shot is at f10. But as the orange flower is in focus and it is only half a meter away the DOF and bokeh is like a f1.8-shot with 1m distance to the subject:

19702312742_f0417b5428_h.jpg

full res

not a very good portrait, but it shows you the small DOF and the sharpness of the lens (choose the full res link). This shot is at f2.8

19956238833_64686ae5fa_h.jpg

full res

Try and stay with the Batis. I went the opposite way to you, from my Sony 90mm to the Batis 85mm. The Batis is lighter (important for me) and much faster auto-focus. I also prefer the bokeh and the color rendition. Overall a much better lens.

If the min focus is a problem can't you crop? It's a large enough sensor to allow cropping.

Try and stay with the Batis. I went the opposite way to you, from my Sony 90mm to the Batis 85mm. The Batis is lighter (important for me) and much faster auto-focus. I also prefer the bokeh and the color rendition. Overall a much better lens.

If the min focus is a problem can't you crop? It's a large enough sensor to allow cropping.

Thanks for the hint. Looks like the 90mm is close to 24-70gm, just a bit thinner and lighter. I can understand that switching to be Batis is an improvement.

The thing with cropping is that it doesn't fit my workflow when shooting. Particularly moving subjects like kids don't let you try to reach MFD.

I chose a distance for the photo based on what I see in the EVF, the overall situation, etc. It's difficult (for me) to step back half a meter, keeping in mind "ah, so close won't work". Just to work around a lens limitation. The picture I'd love to have taken is usually gone by then.

Additionally it means longer distances when shooting from above or below.

Before switching to Sony A7 I've been working with an Olympus M43. Most lenses allowed me to get close®.

Before switching to Sony A7 I've been working with an Olympus M43. Most lenses allowed me to get closer.

Don't forget it's also a big challenge for your AF to focus all that heavy glass fast enough in very close range. A 90/2.8 Macro may help you to get closer, but it is not sure, you will have keepers.

My advice: Either stay in the perception area of the child and play with it, or go out of of its perception and use your batis.

Don't forget it's also a big challenge for your AF to focus all that heavy glass fast enough in very close range. A 90/2.8 Macro may help you to get closer, but it is not sure, you will have keepers.

My advice: Either stay in the perception area of the child and play with it, or go out of of its perception and use your batis.

I had the chance to test the Sony 90/2.8 last weekend. I'm not able to share any photos but AF-S is quite a bit slower compared to the Batis 85. But to my surprise AF-C was performing very well, even close to the subject. About 80% to 90% are keepers.

Next weekend I will try the Sigma. So far I wasn't able to get a Summicron 90.

Hi,

I'm looking for an alternative to my Batis 85. Though I really love it I'm constantly fighting the 80 cm minimum focus distance and I hate switching lenses just for the purpose of getting 10 or 20 cm closer.

The Sony 90 macro seems to be a reasonable choice but it's "only" a 2.8.

Any ideas? I'm open to use legacy lenses.

Thanks,

Dirk

Sigma 85mm f/1.8 for A-Mount