Wedding Lens

FocalRealism

Hi, 

I am little confused with which lens to get.

I am taking my camera to a friends wedding and would like to take some great photos throughout the day and evening.

I am either thinking of hiring or buying a lens to use, so all options are available really.

Which lens would work the best to get some good bokeh and clear images.

I am just starting out, so the FE lens and APS-C lenses are a little confusing.

If i was to buy a lens, i'd like it to be adaptable.

Thanks for your help

Guest Peter Kelly

Without wishing to put a dampener on things, perhaps I may offer some thoughts.

The first thing, though, is for me to ask exactly what is your motive for taking your camera and what sorts of pictures do you hope to get?

If you are wanting to become a professional at some point in the future then it can be useful, but there are a lot of things that you need to bear in mind. However, if you just feel that it's a nice opportunity, with everyone looking their best, to enjoy your hobby then I would suggest it's not such a good idea.

Also, are you looking for gorgeous artistic shots of the bride, or just general pictures of the day?

Those two possibilities are worlds apart and, irrespective of your equipment, I doubt you will be able to get the 'art' shots. Not because of your ability, but there is unlikely to be the opportunity.

The truth about weddings is that while we've all been to them and there are billions of wedding photographs, it is an extremely challenging, stressful, and difficult job for a professional.

The last thing he needs is someone continually being in the way. With the best will in the world it will happen, especially if you happen to be a half decent photographer because you will appreciate the best angles and look to be there, just as the pro does too!

Any time he has is very tight (despite the impression clowns like Jason Lanier would like to give) and so the opportunity to get the bride and groom alone for intimate shots can be as little as 10 or 15 minutes.

The very last thing he needs is to lose any time to even the most courteous and well-meaning guest. There is nothing quite as frustrating to need the couple for their pictures only to find they have been taken somewhere else by a friend! Even if he was willing, it also makes life much harder if you were to shoot at the same time, because a second camera causes people to look in the wrong direction.

That means there will be no time at all for you, even if you wanted to, so that precludes any chance for the artistic side and the need for the lenses.

So the sensible approach would be to look for general shots of the day and any standard lens will suffice. That said, there is nothing at all wrong with this type of picture. In fact, they well be the most appreciated by the couple.

You could, if you wanted something more intimate, use a bigger telephoto, such as a 70-200 or longer, but once you get into those realms you are looking at carrying around some weight. Do you want to do that when attending a wedding?

Ultimately, therefore, you need to ask yourself what you most want to do at the wedding: enjoy yourself and the day as a guest, or to enjoy your photography? If you still want to take photographs then, above all, appreciate the needs of the pro first. Not because of any danger of upsetting him (most are very used to the annoyances), but so that your friends will get his best work!

Do not bring the camera to the wedding.

When it is safe and appropriate to appear at a

friend's wedding with camera, the questions you

are now asking are the same questions you will

be answering for others who will be asking the

same questions.

One solid example of why I advise you as above

is the WAY you ask your current question. One

day in the future, when you can safely bring a

camera to a wedding, it will be YOUR turn to

answer ... and you will tell the person asking

the question that, altho you're experienced and

willing to help, you unfortunately are unable

to recommend a lens for the new guy, cuz he has

not even told you what size camera he is using.

But, you WILL advise him against bringing his

camera to any weddings waaaaay to early in his

photographic development. He will later thank

you for saving his ass.

Hi and Thanks for all your comments.

I am new with an A6000, just have the kit lens at the moment.  I won’t ever be professional, I would like a few good photos that look good, but also develop a skill too.

I completely understand about wannabe photographers at weddings and this is the reason I preferred all my guests not to bring cameras to my wedding. (except a select few) including banning them from the church…

I am not after the wedding couple really either as I know all the constraints that have to be met and the last thing is I want to do is get in the way.

However, the guests are a different situation, we have a lot of friends at the wedding and wish I got some of my guests (as the professional one was more focussed on me and my wife)

If I can get a few photos of my friends, when the photographer is not about, it’s a win for me.

The camera will just get put away in the early evening and will definitely be enjoying myself!

I did go and buy a SEL50f18 the other night to try it out.  I know for sure it will exceed my abilities and perhaps in a couple of years I’ll update to the FE camera and lenses.

Thanks again for your advice.

Get the RX10, which is now heavily discounted. Really sharp lens, great zoom range of 24-200, constant f2.8.

I shoot weddings for a studio (just sold my a99, will be using an a7II starting 2016) and honestly, if I was a guest and just wanted to shoot from the POV of a guest plus the "occasional" shot beside the pro photographer, the RX10 is perfect. If you have extra cash, go for the RX10Mark2.

Shoot extra fine jpgs. I shoot RAW professionally but seriously, the jpgs coming out of this camera are amazing and you can use the creative styles.

I can NFC these jpgs right way to my phone.

AND, the video coming out of this camera with the XAVC-S codec is amazing!!

It depends on what you mean:

The best line-up for FF is 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 (primes requires a lot more work and experience, but can give you better IQ).

For APS-C I'll say Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 and 50-100mm F/1.8 hands down.