First time out wih the FE16-35

Mathias

First time out with the FE 16-35. Love the quality but I have to get used to anything wider than 24mm, especially below 20.

Used a B&W 10 stop ND filter on this one. It was actually too dark for the 30 seconds maximum exposure time (didn't have the remote with me), so I had to push it quite a bit in post and also had to get rid of some long exposure high ISO noise in Photoshop.

I placed the camera on the pier. Focused manually with an eye on the cameras focus distance. Depth of field would be great to have too in the camera. This is the one situation where the OLED screen on the Batis would be great to have. But I went with the zoom because of the wider focal range and versatility.
I mainly bought it because I will travel down through the Tuscany and stay just outside of Florence for a week, with daily trips to Florence, Rome and the west coast.

Shot with the A7II, FE16-35 @ 16mm, F6.3, 30s

19815706881_4ca949e052_b.jpg

Sundown by Mathias Kappeler, auf Flickr

Nice shot. Like you said, if it's not that dark with a slight more details at the side may make the image pop more. Struggling on which A7 to get or wait for the A7RII. I love this lens too. But then that will make my lens choice too wide. Need a walk around which should be the 24-70. Fancy a fast prime maybe the 35 2.8 if I get the A7S. But may need the slightly more light of 55 1.8 if I get the A7II.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I didn't like the 24-70/4 and sold it.

I think the primes are all extremely good. I got 35/2.8, 35/1.4 and 55/1.8 and would buy all of them again. I'm waiting for the rumored 85/1.4 now, but am still looking at the 85 Batis and FE Macro and will decide later.

I think the A7II is a great camera, especially for what it costs now. But if you can afford the A7RII, it surely is the one to get!

Oh I just love the 35mm Distagon!

It is 630g and rather large, but after getting used to and seeing what I can create with this lens I don't mind it anymore. It still balances quite well on the A7II.

I am using it with the battery grip though. I feel it's much more comfortable although a tad bit heavier.

Oh I just love the 35mm Distagon!

It is 630g and rather large, but after getting used to and seeing what I can create with this lens I don't mind it anymore. It still balances quite well on the A7II.

So, my said trip to the Tuscany is over. It was a great week. Most of the time I had the 16-35 on the camera and I'm happy about my choice.

I'm uploading some of my best travel shots to Flickr. My first batch is up and here are a few of them (all with this lens) - more to follow.

20327699325_2db7ddb6f5_b.jpg

Kolossal by Mathias, auf Flickr

20319411322_866a1553c4_b.jpg

Pisa by Mathias, auf Flickr

19722578144_7b1d36e2e2_b.jpg

On Ponte Vecchio by Mathias, auf Flickr

20344725585_afb0dc135c_b.jpg

Dome by Mathias, auf Flickr

To be continued...

• 1 month later...

A good friend of mine lent me the 16-35mm a couple of days to try it out.

I went on a walk with this lens mounted on my a7R II and I must say: I am impressed. Before this short test, I just smiled at the imagination that this lens could rival my Canon 16-35mm 2.8 Version 2 or even the 24-70mm 2.8 Version 2.

How wrong I was. The results are not short of amazing (Although, max. aperture is one stop below the Canon). 

It well outperformed the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 V2, See here:

School (Original file size on Flickr):

School shot with 16-35mm f4

Farm (Original file size on Flickr):

Farm shot with 16-35mm f10   Ok, it’s F10, but check the very good sharpness in the corners.

(shadows +26% enhanced)

School:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Farm:

Nice shot. Like you said, if it's not that dark with a slight more details at the side may make the image pop more. Struggling on which A7 to get or wait for the A7RII. I love this lens too. But then that will make my lens choice too wide. Need a walk around which should be the 24-70. Fancy a fast prime maybe the 35 2.8 if I get the A7S. But may need the slightly more light of 55 1.8 if I get the A7II.

I have the 35 f2.8 and the 55 f1.8 and love them both.  I just love the 55 and it is my go to lens for general purposes on the A7 ii.  If you were to own only one lens the 55 is the one to get.  But the 35 is great for landscapes.  I have ordered the 85 Batis for portraits.  The Sony/Zeis lenses are just fantastic.