First Experiences with the Nex5 - Major Short Issues (Need Advice)

Let me start out by saying I am new to photography.  My Nex5 was purchased second hand after tons of research.  I went out and bought a second lense have just some casual use seeing I really needed a telephoto for the close shots.

Yesterday we went to the zoo for the first time with my new camera.  I realize that the zoo is a very challenging expedition for the camera.  Lots of indoor lower light situations and full light situations...close shots ...wide shots...etc. 

I started out with my kit lense 18-55 but quickly switched to the 55-210.  The auto focus was VERY slow and in many cases did not work at all as the camera could not seem to find the center of the image with the animal I was shooting...so lots of shots were blurry.  I now understand why people ask for a touch screen so they can touch where they want the center to be.  Maybe this is just because I am using the Nex5 original and the steps up are much better?

I experienced this on many many shots very slow auto focus, inability for camera to find center of target.  I also now understand in the daylight why people really like view finders. 

I also see why the articulation of the ldc is a big deal as well.

Again, I am very new at this but I also noticed that switching out lenses is a PAIN.  There were several shots that I wanted to take of my daughter but because I had the 55-210 in I couldn't get shot.  I was too close to her to get a good picture.

Anyway...  Advice?  I started looking at the Nikon D3300 ... I noticed that originally I thought I would be doing more video but don't really do that much.  After carrying two lenses and the body ...how much more would a newer model of a DSLR weight...  Is it worth the trade off?

You essentially have TWO kit lenses, and

these do not transmit much light to your

focus sensor. You also have a quite less

than premium model body, which includes

rather low performing AF ability.

With your current gear, the AF is just a

convenience that, in favorable conditions

only, allows the user to enjoy one-button

picture taking. If you keep that gear you

need to become handy with manual focus.

As for whether exchanging lenses is too

awkward an activity, time was when such

awkward activities as loading film were

too much for casual users, so we had the

Instamatic [drop in loading cassettes] by

Kodak and similar systems from Polaroid

and other companies. That stuff is up to

you [and your budget].

If you switch to an SLR, you'll still face all

the same problems. The lens pair you have

now is also available to, and often owned by,

SLR users. Some SLRs have second rate

AF systems. Some are great. But that's the

same situation as on the mirrorless front.

All digital cameras available today and in

recent years are extremely capable and are

quite convenient to use ... but some are so

much more so than others. All you gotta do

is pay up.

`

I would respectfully suggest to you the Sony rx100 series, especially the rx100m3 or maybe even the newer rx100 m4 just released.

This way you do not have to detach lenses, it has a fairly good retracting zoom lens that covers from 1.8-2.8 & 24-70mm zoom range so you can do some zoom or lowlight. Has a pop up viewfinder and is meant to take a goodly photo.

Or the bridge zoom rx10 series which has a 24-200mm lens & has a viewfinder too, that will give you from wide angle to longish zoom.

This is a Sony forum so far be it for me to suggest another brand, however, i have owned 3 Sony cameras in the last 5 years and liked all of them so can relatively confidently recommend them for quality products.

Because Sony has just released the new versions of both those cameras-[rx100 mark 4 and rx10 mark 2] you will find the rx100 mark3 and rx10 mark1 for cheaper now second hand or new too and i get the feeling one of those would make you a happy contented and better photographer, although this is merely an instinctive proposition.

Remember, if its your daughter they are only young once, the photographic memories are well worth it.

P.s. One more thing, have you tried seeing if there is a firmware update for the nex 5 on the sony website? I owned the nex 5 yrs ago and remember updating the firmware on it.

I hope this helps you.