Help Manual Mode A7S

Hi all,

Sorry for the noobie question but I was hoping someone could explain how to use a LED read out in manual mode for me, I've looked at my a7s manual and it says nothing about how to use it.

So I'm trying to do a landscape in manual mode, when I try a focus a slider bar comes up on the bottom of the finder which shows a pic on left and as I scroll across the infinity sign, sometimes it also shows meters. Now I'm assuming it has something to do with hyper focal length but I just don't know how to practical use it to get infinity focus. Is someone able to explain how the read out works and how to practically apply it to my photos.

Thanks heaps and apologies for the stupid question! I've found the Sony manual to be terrible :(

I can't parse your question as I read it, but I can

advise you that Sony's printed manuals are a bit

less than thorough, while the PDF manuals tend

to be better. I don't have a 7S, but I have/had 4

Sonys and the PDF manuals have, for my gear,

been much better. The ability to search a PDF,

and the provided "bookmarks", really help you to

get the info you need. 

`

I can't parse your question as I read it, but I can

advise you that Sony's printed manuals are a bit

less than thorough, while the PDF manuals tend

to be better. I don't have a 7S, but I have/had 4

Sonys and the PDF manuals have, for my gear,

been much better. The ability to search a PDF,

and the provided "bookmarks", really help you to

get the info you need.

`

Thanks golem, yeh unfortunately the manual doesn't mention this Lcd read out at all. So I have no idea how it works at all!!

Hopefully someone on the forum might be able to advise it only comes up in the manual assist magnify mode.

Got me stumped!

When shooting in very low light its important to get your focus sorted out before you use the light.

The scale along the bottom is a guide as to where the camera/lens combo thinks the focal length is. You actually need to see the item you are focusing on.

As an example, when shooting the transit of venus in 2012 it was necessary to manually focus as, even though the sun is 150 million Km away, you can't just use infinity.

Shooting star shots its necessary to determine where your lens focuses on a distant object in good light and then either put a mark on the lens, or tape it in position so that its all set up for when its dark.

When shooting in very low light its important to get your focus sorted out before you use the light.

The scale along the bottom is a guide as to where the camera/lens combo thinks the focal length is. You actually need to see the item you are focusing on.

As an example, when shooting the transit of venus in 2012 it was necessary to manually focus as, even though the sun is 150 million Km away, you can't just use infinity.

Shooting star shots its necessary to determine where your lens focuses on a distant object in good light and then either put a mark on the lens, or tape it in position so that its all set up for when its dark.

Hey boo thanks for response can you explain how the infinity works on this slider? The slider seems to move towards the infinity symbol (which appears on the right hand side) based on the focus ring as apposed to the zoom.

Is it saying that when you have turned the focus ring till then infinity symbol shows up that if you then move the camera around that if something is in focus you are at infinity focus?

Sorry if my question sounds stupid!

I think you need to visualise that gauge as a guide.

If you look at a lens on any camera the focus ring will have an indicator on it, or near it, with infinity at one end and lesser numbers down to say 0.6 metres at the other. When manually focusing on any camera you would look through the lens and judge when the image is sharp.

You can't see the gauge on the lens whilst looking through the viewfinder, you know when you're right because the image is sharp. I treat the in screen gauge the same. The second you turn the focus ring the image zooms in and you adjust it until the image is sharp. The infinity at one end of the display and minimum focal length at the other I just treat as an indication that I'm turning the ring the right way.

Hope I understood your question.

Use any DOF App. In your smartphone.

It will give you the hyperfocal distance for any focal length & aperture.

Focus your camera to this value (using the bar in the bottom of the viewfinder)

Say a short pray, and take a shot.

Hope I understood your question.

Use any DOF App. In your smartphone.

It will give you the hyperfocal distance for any focal length & aperture.

Focus your camera to this value (using the bar in the bottom of the viewfinder)

Say a short pray, and take a shot.

That works (even without a prayer:-)

I use the "Field Tools" app on my iPhone.