A6300 with Commlite adapter and Canon 70-200/2.8

I tried out this combination today at the beach so I thought I'd share this in case others are considering it.

From trying it at home at dusk I wasn't too hopeful, it hunted a lot and struggled to lock on static targets.

However, when in bright conditions at wide apertures it acquires the target quite well (wide focus area, AF-C). It hunted very little, only once in 20 (solid) minutes did it go full range one end to the other.

I even tried out the 2x extender, and the results were very similar. Quite hard to hand-hold though when going up to 600mm equivalent!

However, there are issues:

• If the light is low enough to push the ISO up (past about 5000 I think) it struggles to lock on. You need good light, especially with the extender on.
  • It seems to lock when you activate the shutter for the first shot, so if the target moves towards or away from you it won't be in focus, it doesn't track as such, just lock.
  • The camera seemed to struggle with setting the exposure properly, many of the pictures looked good in the viewfinder, then when the results flashed up the either quite under or over exposed. It was quite harsh conditions, perhaps that isn't due to the adapter or lens.
  • The sharpness of the pictures didn't seem to be as good as when I used the same lens on the 7D mk2. That could be due to lack of in-camera processing though? Or perhaps the fitting not being perfect?

Overall not bad considering the adapter was released well before the A6300 was even announced.

However, I'll be saving for the native equivalents that come out later in the year... unless the metabones is significantly better? I haven't seen evidence of that so I'm not inclined to risk it, unless someone else knows better?

-Alastair