Setting Effect ON/Setting Effect OFF

bwud

I wasn't meaning that the refresh was influenced by settings, rather postulating that for example if it refreshes at 60hz, that I'm viewing a 1/60 sec exposure.

That probably isn't the case. Just an idea.

Setting Effect On will show you what your picture will look like as a result of applying all your settings. This setting is useful when you want to shoot pictures while checking the results of the shot on the LCD.

Setting Effect Off will show the image on the LCD without the effects of exposure compensation, white balance,etc. I use when shooting in studio with strobes, as the manual settings may make the image to dark to see if Setting Effect was turned on.

What exactly am I looking at when Setting Effect is set to off? I presume it's wide open aperture, but at what exposure time? The refresh rate of the display?

There's no way to know what settings the camera is choosing for Off. I'm assuming it raises the ISO of the EVF/LV feed because there is noise in it and it can be choppy. Most likely wide open aperture in dark ambient places.

Setting Effect On will show you what your picture will look like as a result of applying all your settings. This setting is useful when you want to shoot pictures while checking the results of the shot on the LCD.

Setting Effect Off will show the image on the LCD without the effects of exposure compensation, white balance,etc. I use when shooting in studio with strobes, as the manual settings may make the image to dark to see if Setting Effect was turned on.

Yah, I disable it when I am shooting with artificial lighting w/out modeling lamps, for long exposures, etc.