Leica 28mm Elmar ASPH (11606)

Guest all8

On an A7II.

Vignette is very strong at f2.8, but half a stop away its otherwise OK and does not change too much.

Edges do sharpen up and become sharp around f5.6 to f8. Not sure how much of this is really the Lens and/or DOF related.

Very fast to focus. Easier to focus with larger apertures and then stop down, but that is a characteristic of the Lens and not related to the focus assist of the A7II.

Looks OK on the camera, bit out of place with all the numbers, but OK. Loxia should look better.

Overall, happy with the results. Better than expected.

At f8.0, no PP

Crop at fsomethingorother, Lr Mid Contrast and Vignette added.

"Looks OK on the camera, bit out of place with all the numbers, but OK. Loxia should look better."

Another one. What is wrong with you people?

"Looks OK on the camera, bit out of place with all the numbers, but OK. Loxia should look better."

Another one. What is wrong with you people?

Nothing wrong with looking good  :D 

I have an even uglier lens to try tomorrow ...

Nothing wrong with looking good  :D

I have an even uglier lens to try tomorrow ...

When pretty decides what lens you buy, you are a model. Not a photographer.

• 3 months later...
Guest all8

I used this lens again recently ... have to accept that it does not work well on the A7. The photos are OK, but they do not compare well to the performance of the native lenses, or other cameras with the same effective focal length (Ricoh GR). This shot at f8 is probably better than I would get on Film, however at f2.8 or f5.6 it was pretty bad away from the center.

Still, I got great photos with the lens, and it is possible to do some post work to get things a little better.

Looking forward to the new Zeiss 25.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the same image, processed again for the second time with Capture One. It looks OK but took a fair bit of effort.

edit: I should mention that Capture One was particularly helpful in working with this photo. It (Capture One Pro) has some particularly efficient tools for working with image editing, a big step up from Aperture and I have the feeling that it is also a little step up from LR.

They look alright?

Hard to tell from uploaded images.

Im using a 28 3.5 nik ai and it works quite well.

You can see the vignette. Not terrible though, i wonder what it is with the wide angle leicas, or is it all wide angles i politely wonder?

@pengun, bit harsh lol, form over function are indelibly linked, nothing wrong with admiring the finer aesthetics of design.

It looks OK to me, I'm going to print it. Using the Capture One "Clarity and Structure" tool is was possible to get rid of the smearing at the edge of the frame, particularly noticeable on the branches unfortunately. The full size version looks better in that area.

The 28mm Elmarit has a fairly small exit pupil which is close to the sensor, as do most Leica's it seems, and this does not play too well with the Sony sensor. This is quite obvious when comparing against other lenses, the Voigtländer 40' exit pupil is twice the diameter, and the Loxia is _much_ further away from the sensor. Apparently the thickness of the glass on the sensor is the cause, and there is a possibility to get that replaced with thinner glass. The WATE lens is one that does work well.

Anyway, plenty of other lenses that work well. I use the 28mm Elmarit on a film camera, where it looks much better  :D