Help with upgrade from A200

Hello to everybody.

I'd like to upgrade my Sony A200. I own three lenses: Sony 50 F1.4, Sony 70 300 G and Minolta 28 F 2.8.

I'm here asking for some advice because I'm quite confused about what would be a wise move... switching to an E mount camera or to one of the few surviving A mount cameras?

Here are some sparse thoughts:

- I'd like to keep and profitably use the lenses I already own and paid for. In this regard, after reading some review of the LA-EA adaptors, I'm not 100% convinced about them. In case of an E mount camera like the A6000, I simply would not use its nice AF with the adaptor, and while this would be acceptable with the 50 and the 28, I fear it would be painful with the 70-300 G. Besides, I think that using an adaptor would negate the weight advantage of having an E mount camera with native lenses. In the end, I'd have to buy some native E mount lens in order to fully exploit the new camera / system.

- Let's suppose I'll stick with A mount. I'll have to choose from a not convincing A58, an IMHO ageing and expensive A99, and a very nice and tasty A77 II. It looks to me that the A77 II it's the only sane choice...

- Finally, I'd like to keep the budget under 1000 €

As I said before, I'm very confused and I don't really know what would be better for me.

My photographic habits are mainly travel photography, but I really enjoyed occasionally shooting sports and wildlife, albeit with the limits of my hardware.

If you have some advice or other food for thought, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,

D.A.

If primary use is travel photography, get an A6000.

I have a Nex-7 with a few lenses, Super light and easy to travel with.  I also have an A99.  The A99 is better at everything, even though it is an 'older' camera.  it is however, heavy, relative to any Nex style camera.

The 70-300G works great on the Nex-7 with LA-EA2 adapter.  I have used that combination many times. 

If the secondary use of the camera is wildlife, the APS-C crop factor of 1.5x on the A6000 will give you extra reach.

The only thing I advise people to do is adjust the A mount lenses with the AF micro adjust so that focus is spot on.  Although my 70-300G didn't need any adjustments, the 80-200G did, as did all the other Minolta lenses I have.

I tried the A6000. It's really small. AF is fast, even if it took me some time to find my way through various AF modes, AF areas, face recognition and so on. Drive mode is impressive. The EVF is good and large, it's something I need to get accustomed to. Battery life is meager, however. It's the kind of object that makes me say "I want it!"...

D.A.

Did you try the A77 II too?

The A77 II is a whole different beast than the A6000, both do serve different purposes imo.

I do own both the A77 II (and I, paired to the 16-50 and 70-400 G lenses) as well as the A6000 (along with the 10-18, 16-50 & 35 and some Minolta MD glass, 16-70Z on the way).

I basically bought the A6000 to have a travel friendly camera for city trips while having a bit more flexibility and quality than the RX100, but having a portable system. I was a bit tired of running around with an A77, battery grip, wide-angle lens, and so on. It's an awesome camera.

However, if I were to go on yet another safari, wildlife excursion or sports/action shooting, I certainly would grab my backpack with the full A77 II gear. The AF, handling and EVF of this camera are superior to the A6000. It's a different world. You certainly could do the same job with an A6000, but the A77 II feels like the right tool for that application to me.

PS: The drive modes and AF modes on the A6000 and A77 II are basically identical, however the A77 feels even more responsive and "on the spot" than the A6000 when you need fast focusing and drive modes.

Just another thought that crossed my mind...

If you're going the A6000 way, you will lose any stabilization for your A mount lenses. This might not really be ideal for your 70-300 G lens. According to Andreas, there should be an APS-C E-mount camera with IBIS in the pipe but we have no announcement date yet. Probably worth waiting if you really want to go the E-mount body with adapted A-mount lenses way-

Budget wise, the A6000 with the LA-EA4 adapter will bring you around the 1.000$ mark, not much cheaper than the A77 II.

In my opinion, the A6000 only makes sense if you are changing system to get something lighter & smaller while investing in E mount glass.

Hi Moody.

Thanks for your ideas.

I didn't properly tried the A77 II, I just used it in a couple of stores while on vacation, and I was really tempted to buy it outright:)

You have a good point about the A6000 and the investment in a new system. Thinking about that, it's something I don't really want to do, neither I could justify it to my wife:D

By the way, is there some A-mount APS-C camera on the horizon?

Thanks,

D.A.

The A77 mk2 is basically brand new.  It is APS-C A mount.

I agree with Moody, the A77 is superior for a bunch of stuff. It is however heavier and larger.  I guess it is really a question of what your requirements are. The cheapest option is the A77 Mk2 with no lenses as you already have some.