Kanaha Maui - lens choice to shoot kitesurfers

I'm travelling to Maui, I've never shot kitesurfers at Kanaha Maui and I was wondering what lens do I require? I have a Sony 70-200 f2.8 gm II but I'm concerned that it might not have the reach even if I did video editing to bring the riders closer. Also do I have to bring along my own tripod for this trip? I looked on the internet and there doesn't appear to be a place where I can rent one in Maui. Thanks for the help.

Back in my Nikon film days I shot kitesurfers in Fuerteventura with a 75-300 mm lens.

Actually, the problem I had was that the 75-300 mm was fantastic to make closeups of the kitesurfers, but it was basically useless to take the full picture of the surfer and the kite. I ended swapping continuously between the 75-300 and the 28-70. urfers 

The ultimate question is how far are the surfers from the beach. This summer I took nice shots of kitesurfers in Italy with my A6300 and the 16-70 mm, but I was lucky because the surfers were very close to the dock where I was standing, in some pictures less than 20 meters. The farther they are, the longer your lens has to be. I would suggest you to have a look at pictures taken by others in the same location and understand how much telephoto reach you need to have to get the pictures that you have in mind.

Edited by Phormula

On 10/20/2023 at 1:20 PM, Phormula said:

thanks.

Back in my Nikon film days I shot kitesurfers in Fuerteventura with a 75-300 mm lens.

Actually, the problem I had was that the 75-300 mm was fantastic to make closeups of the kitesurfers, but it was basically useless to take the full picture of the surfer and the kite. I ended swapping continuously between the 75-300 and the 28-70. urfers 

The ultimate question is how far are the surfers from the beach. This summer I took nice shots of kitesurfers in Italy with my A6300 and the 16-70 mm, but I was lucky because the surfers were very close to the dock where I was standing, in some pictures less than 20 meters. The farther they are, the longer your lens has to be. I would suggest you to have a look at pictures taken by others in the same location and understand how much telephoto reach you need to have to get the pictures that you have in mind.