Sony is working on a Z-shifting sensor that can focus with all manual lenses!

Bildschirmfoto-2014-10-21-um-21.45.42.pn

I think all owners of third party manual focusing lenses will be happy to read about this: Sony US patent 8866965 describes a sensor that can shift on the Z-axis to focus with manual lenses! Pretty amazing or not? Flange distance moves back and forward to adjust the focus point. Therefore also a 50 year old Leica lens now becomes an AF lens :)

Yes, this is exactly what I've been waiting for!

I really like to do manual focusing with my A7, it's working much better than any AF.

Only with tele lenses, when you e.g. try to focus on a person's eyes, I sometimes would like to have assistance from the contrast focus engine.

I can easily do the rough focus manually, only the last 2% are quite effortful, you need to zoom in, have to be very careful handling the focus ring.

Till then somtimes the smile of the person has disappeared.

Imagine, that this could be done within the body, with a direct communication between Z-shift and contrast analysis.

So it must  be much faster as a lens-body iteration, as long, as the travel distance of Z-shift is kept short.

I also would like to use Z-shift serial pictures.

So I could pick the best photo afterwards on my computer or even build a stacked focus Image.

Therefore: let it happen, I'm eagerly waiting

Joerg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward for it.

Sony could make the most versatile camera in terms of the lens compatibility. I have been asking for a while, sell your cameras for lenses like you sell your sensors for cameras. Probably the modern AF lenses will focus faster but do your best for others! 

And I hope it will be combined with the IBIS.

I feel like it would also add a bit of size to the camera due to the forward and backward movements and system itself. Maybe we'll see it in A-mount DSLR before E-mount systems. It's a welcome patent though.

I feel like it would also add a bit of size to the camera due to the forward and backward movements and system itself. Maybe we'll see it in A-mount DSLR before E-mount systems. It's a welcome patent though.

It could be a E-mount DSLR-like camera. With A-mount, it would be quite bulky.

It was rumored, that Sony will announce a true pro mirrorless camera in January (A9?).
On the other hand the Z shift rumor was started more than one year ago.
Maybe they were able to implement this technique already with this new model.

The clientele addressed with the A9 will be the professional user, who is used to handle 1kg+ cameras.
If he has the option to continue using his expensive legacy lenses, he might accept a little bigger studio body.
For outdoor use the fine but lightweight configuration within the Sony system already exist with A7/r/S or even A6000.

We'll see in January what the Sony marketing and engeneering have brewed.

It was rumored, that Sony will announce a true pro mirrorless camera in January (A9?).

On the other hand the Z shift rumor was started more than one year ago.

Maybe they were able to implement this technique already with this new model.

The clientele addressed with the A9 will be the professional user, who is used to handle 1kg+ cameras.

If he has the option to continue using his expensive legacy lenses, he might accept a little bigger studio body.

For outdoor use the fine but lightweight configuration within the Sony system already exist with A7/r/S or even A6000.

We'll see in January what the Sony marketing and engeneering have brewed.

I openly welcome the addition of a professional "A9". The A7 series has great portability but professionals quickly pointed out the flaws that it needs to address to be used on a professional level. Supposedly, Sony used the A7 to "test the waters" and see how the market would react. Let's hope they've listened because the A9 is sure to make a bang, especially on our wallets.