Magnification in EVF

fotagf8

Excuse what may be a dumb question, but the Sony 7RII is my first Sony camera.  I've got everything working and I have assigned functions to the function buttons and the FN screen.  What I can't figure out is whether I can magnify what is displayed on the EVF screen.  I can do it when reviewing a photo, but I just don't see where I do that when framing an image with the EVF.  Can I do this in manual focus and auto focus modes?

Thanks.

BTW, I used the camera for the first time yesterday for a session.  I was very impressed.  Contrary to what I have heard, the menu system is not that hard to master.  Not much different than my Canon system.  I was shooting in a very low-light environment.  I had never gone above ISO 3200, but I found the ISO 6400 photos to be largely equivalent to 3200 on my Canon system--although I don't pixel peep, so that is just a visual impression.  I did notice a little color noise, but I was able to deal with that.  It will be interesting to see what happens when the firmware update comes out with full RAW support.

The image stabilization worked great.  The photographs were sharp and did not evidence camera shake at 1/160th of a second shutter speed.

Jack B. Siegel

Maybe the Zoom feature is what you are looking for?  I don't have my camera in front of me today (Shame), but it should be one of the custom button options in settings.

Also in manual focus or DMF you can focus peak after you partial press shutter and rotate the focus ring.

I have an A7r mk I, so I'm not sure if they tweaked something, but:

1) you will be able to magnify focus in manual focus only (with legacy lenses and FE lenses) or in DMF (Direct Manual Focus) with FE lenses (i.e. not legacy glass). You will not be able to magnify focus using the camera in "AF" modes

2) you will have to assign focus magnification to one of the custom buttons, like K2Kevin correctly pointed out; to which one is your choice (I personally find the AE lock button pretty handy)