how do I stop the creation of date folders when uploading to my PC?

purpleray

Can I stop the automatic establishment of folders by date?-

I have just moved from 10 years with Olympus 4/3s and m4/3s to the A7R2.    I use Light room to catalogue, convert and PP my raw photos ( I only use Photoshop for layers and panoramas and focus stacking).  I have my own file/folder naming protocol that reflects my casual approach eg 15Sep02 - means folder for 2nd upload September 2015. I often let casual shots accumulate before I upload so I don't group by DATE - which Sony seems to automatically do. Unfortunately, I end up with a lot of sub-folders that I have to clean up because of my accumulated batch approach.  

Is this a product of the camera protocols and is it then fixable in the menus.  If so how? 

Or is it a product of Play Memories?  If so can I bypass Play Memories?

Not sure if I really understand your workflow, but why don't you directly import your RAWs into Lightroom and let Lightroom create the necessary folders?

Or if you really need a step of selecting photos (or mass dumping RAWs first) before an LR import, just copy the RAWs without any use of PlayMemories into your own folder structure. I guess that any file explorer software should be able to make such a copy (using LR myself to do the import/copy step).

As far as I know, you can customize the way your camera stores your photos onto your SD card (and iirc, one is such a strange "create subfolder for each date"), so you should be able to have your photos all in one single folder on your SD card. Not owning an A7R2, but this has been the case on all my Sony cameras so far (A850, A77s, A6000, RX100).

I suppose my problem is that in connecting the camera to the computer, it automatically required me to download Play Memories and did not show any way to upload my photos except with Play Memories.   Then it produce all these folders for each date.  So, I'm not sure how to go about uploading without Play Memories and I don't know how to avoid the Date folders.

I'm not sure if the problem can be fixed by changing something on the menu in the camera or by somehow changing settings on Play Memories or bypassing Play Memories.

My best advise is connecting the sd-card using external USB (preferrible USB 3.0). Just mount to your pc and it will be recognized just the way you need, without the date folders which are mounted as is only via the camera by default.

Alternatively, you can chane the way the camera handles USB connection to do the same but you are missing the USB 3.0 speed you can achieve with an external adapter