Sony A57 all photos blurry even when viewed through shot result preview button

Pirate4ever

I have owned my Sony A57 for about 10 years and it has always delivered tack sharp photos. I am an experienced photographer so it is not something simple like settings just being wrong (Just in case I did initialize the settings to return them to factory defaults). I also updated the firmware to the latest. I took it to the shop and had it cleaned and inspected, they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It is the same problem with all 7 of my lenses. When I look through the viewfinder and push the shutter button half way the lens focuses and the image looks sharp through the viewfinder, when I push the shot result preview button, it shows it blurry, and when I take the photo it looks blurry as well. It does this even on the auto modes as well as the manual mode.

Has anyone run into this?

Thanks Dave

Yes, I've tried it on my tripod, with a remote trigger, in full sun with fast shutter speed, and I get the same results. The exposures are always correct but the image still comes out blurry. I was thinking the steadyshot function wasn't working but the tripod would have ruled that out.

Did this happen all at once or slowly?   Recently?  Has the camera been in any HOT places?  Has it had any serious bumps or drops?

Have you reset everything to the factory settings?

How "blurry" are the images?

It happened all at once, I picked it up to take some photos last summer and discovered the issue. I assumed it was a setting or lens at first so I have done a lot of testing and bringing it to the shop to rule out simple things first. I have traveled from Dominican Republic to Alaska so, yes I assume it has experienced everything from hot to cold. It has never been significantly dropped or bumped. I did initialize the settings to return them to factory defaults, I also updated the firmware to the latest version (not that that would have any effect on this but I figured it didn't hurt). The photos look like motion blur throughout the whole image which is why I suspected the steadyshot function initially. Seeing the blur when pressing the shot result preview button even when using the automatic modes leads me to believe it has something to do with the electronics. It's like it can't set the setting itself to avoid the blur but the image in the viewfinder is focused and sharp until then.

Sounds like you've taken all the right tests.  Sure sounds like SteadyShot or electric/static sensor cleaning "gone wild".  Since it happens with all lens, it has to be the camera.

Maybe others will have ideas.

• 1 year later...

I have now exactly the same Sony A57 problem as Pirate4ever. Obviously it cannot be a coincident. I note there was no written outcome. What was the technical troubleshooting problem/solution advice regards this specific issue?

Does Sony have any advice on the issue?

Edited by DavidC

DavidC I took my camera body to Rowe photo and they did the same troubleshooting as I stated in my original post and determined the same as me that it was a circuit failure. It would cost me around $500 to send it to Sony to be repaired and may cost more depending on what they find. I feel like Sony is doing away with the A-mount so instead of fixing the A57, I choose to invest that $500 into a Sony A7R II, an A-mount to E-mount adapter, and an E-mount Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens. I kept the A57 but may sell it for parts to someone who wants it in the future. I was able to find the A7R II for around $1100 during the 2021 holiday's.

Hey Pirate4ever - if you still have the A57, try the camera 'reset' option. Both myself and another A57 user had exactly the same problem as you, and the 'reset' option immediately fixed the problem for both of us - clear sharp shots after shots.  I initially posted a copy of your problem to the alternative Sony Support page, and the responses and my last post advising the reset fix refers. The actual solution came from the other A57 user stumbling upon the below solution info sheets (via a basic Google search - 'sony camera photos suddenly blurry factory reset')

Last step per the Sony user elimination process articles below refers.

The Sony Support Article ID : 00053622 / Last Modified : 13/07/2018

The pictures are blurry or out-of-focus | Sony UK

and Sony Support Article ID : 00022576 / Last Modified : 03/01/2022

The Cybershot or Mavica pictures are blurry, out-of-focus or distorted | Sony USA

Posted to Sony SLT Alpha A57 all photos blurry even when viewed through shot result preview button. 

Hope our success is also your success, and the 'reset' fix lasts...... 

Cheers

19 hours ago, DavidC said:

Hey Pirate4ever - if you still have the A57, try the camera 'reset' option. Both myself and another A57 user had exactly the same problem as you, and the 'reset' option immediately fixed the problem for both of us - clear sharp shots after shots.  I initially posted a copy of your problem to the alternative Sony Support page, and the responses and my last post advising the reset fix refers. The actual solution came from the other A57 user stumbling upon the below solution info sheets (via a basic Google search - 'sony camera photos suddenly blurry factory reset')

Last step per the Sony user elimination process articles below refers.

The Sony Support Article ID : 00053622 / Last Modified : 13/07/2018

The pictures are blurry or out-of-focus | Sony UK

and Sony Support Article ID : 00022576 / Last Modified : 03/01/2022

The Cybershot or Mavica pictures are blurry, out-of-focus or distorted | Sony USA

Posted to Sony SLT Alpha A57 all photos blurry even when viewed through shot result preview button. 

Hope our success is also your success, and the 'reset' fix lasts...... 

Cheers

DavidC, Thank you for the suggestions. I've done this a number of times and it has not made a difference. I've gone into the menu -> Initialize -> reset default. The image through the view finder still looks sharp and as soon as I click the preview button, or take a picture, the result is out of focus. I have tried the same lenses on my A7R II and the photos are tack sharp every time without fail. Is there some other way I should be doing the factory reset? 

Pirate4ever - Yes, Menu -> Initialize -> Reset Default per Sony a57 A-mount Handbook - Resetting to the default - page 173 reads to be the only reset option. I did first extract the camera battery, wait 20 seconds and reinsert it (the computer/laptop complete power-down type thing - suggested to me by others - ???relevance???). I assume when you initiated the reset that the LCD screen blanked-out/went black, then showed the 'Alpha' insignia, indicating the camera software was actually resetting, and after a short while the LCD refreshed to show all the default camera settings around the perimeter

Images are not sharp (Digital Camera) | Sony UK - Sony Support Article ID : 00053215 / Last Modified : 13/07/2018 - also restates the Reset Default process. I have not found an alternative reset process. 

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.  Its great your A7R II is supporting your passion!

Edited by DavidC