Moving from Nikon 300/2.8 VRII to the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS

jourdaj

I just picked up this lens this past week. As a convert from Nikon, I'm migrating from a D500 + 300/2.8 VRII+1.4TCEII system. I was basically shocked at how small and light the 100-400 GM OSS felt in my hands after lugging a system around that was 2X heavier and larger. On the Sony a7III the lens handled wonderfully, with the Auto AF Lock: Flexible Spot M setting really doing the trick for tracking flying Canvasbacks on the Detroit River. Despite various warnings from Sony about losing EVF monitoring while using Continuous Hi+ shooting (Raw Compressed) I found that the subject could be easily tracked while shooting the full 10 fps on the a7III. I can't say enough about the system.

I've posted a blog w/ details and photos from my first 30 minutes with the camera:

https://birdingthroughglass.blogspot.com/2019/02/field-testing-sony-100-400mm-f45-56-g.html

Jerry

It's a wonderful lens and doesn't lose any IQ or performance when couple with the 1.4x teleconverter on my A7RIII. However, I do find that tracking birds for instance is much easier in H mode. In H+ mode for a brief moment you are viewing the previous frame in the EVF, the apparent absence of blackout is an illusion.

The only downside is the loss of 2 fps which I don't find a handicap. I like your photos in your link.

It’s a fantastic lens. I use it with the 1.4x all the time for wildlife and it’s served me well. I agree that H+ is not great for moving targets on the A7RIII and typically use the A9 when the action is fast although I don’t end up with as many pixels to work with in post. I’ve shot with the A7RIII and A9 in various combinations with the 100-400 and the 70-200 f2.8 and the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters alongside other people using Nikon or Canon and have always felt that I’ve been able to do as much if not more because the more compact gear allowed me to more easily have everything on-hand for travel or even for handholding.