FE 28 + 21mm converter quick test

Hi,

I just got the Sony FE 28 F2 with the 21mm converter. I put a few quick test pictures up (sorry about the boring wall):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alastc/sets/72157651129627720/

Centre looks good in all, and the corners above F4. It is my first go at doing any kind of test like this, so please let me know if I can improve this type of thing.

However, these are the JPGs straight out of the camera (A7S on extra-fine). I also took RAW files separately, and when I look at them in Lightroom I get a quick second of a reasonable picture, and then it appears that Lightroom applies some kind of processing, and it comes out very distorted:

16918421985_378350646d.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alastc/16918421985/

I guess that either:

- Lightroom is guessing at a profile and getting it quite wrong, or

- The default OS X raw converter does a better job.

Does anyone know how to get an unconverted raw out? My usual workflow is DXO raw conversion then into Lightroom, but DXO won't have a profile for these lenses yet. The Adobe raw converter just creates identical DNG files.

Thanks,

-Alastair

That image you see for a second is a quick preview JPEG that is embedded in the RAW file. It is shown first, while the RAW data is being processed, and then replaced with the processed RAW image. Try Vivek's suggestion, or Capture One (which apparently reads the correction data directly from the RAW file).

Hi,

However, these are the JPGs straight out of the camera (A7S on extra-fine). I also took RAW files separately, and when I look at them in Lightroom I get a quick second of a reasonable picture, and then it appears that Lightroom applies some kind of processing, and it comes out very distorted:

Thanks Vivek & timde,

I tried both, the results were very similar, I went with Capture One as it seemed better terms of colour.

So my understanding now is that Lightroom isn't applying anything to the raw, but some things (OSX's preview, IDC, Capture One) apply correction information encoded in the raw file.

I've re-arranged my flickr album so for each setting you have 'raw' (from Lightroom), 'c1' (processed in default settings from Capture one), and 'xfine' from the camera:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alastc/sets/72157649211407864/

In which case: Wow! the difference between the raw file and the corrected version is pretty shocking! At larger apertures the corrected versions actually crop quite a lot it is so distorted. Is that normal?

I.e. Is it just that I haven't seen it before because I've been using lenses with apps that had correction profiles. Is this just a downside of getting a lens before the apps are updated?

Or are other lenses (e.g. the FE 16-35) less distorted without correction?

-Alastair

PS. Sorry, I accidentally killed the previous Flickr album by replacing all the image in it, but I can't edit my first post to correct the references.

Dumb question of mine: Does the converter electrically connect/is there a setting indicating to the camera that an additional converter is mounted? Perhaps the raw converters have trouble rectifying the image with that additional bit of optics

I'm not sure exactly how, but the camera does know about the converter. It adjusts the max aperture to 2.8 (instead of 2.0), and reports correctly in the EXIF data. It also corrects (pretty well) in the jpg versions.

The distortion is also pretty noticeable in the 28mm without the converter.

Dumb question of mine: Does the converter electrically connect/is there a setting indicating to the camera that an additional converter is mounted? Perhaps the raw converters have trouble rectifying the image with that additional bit of optics

I think there is a magnet in both lens and adapter, so the camera "knows" when the adapter is on.

Nice, informative pics, alastc. Thanks!