Amazon offer of the Sony SEL70200GM - 70-200mm f/2.8 an unbelievable mess on the Amazon

dierk

An unbelievable mess on the Amazon offer of the Sony SEL70200GM - 70-200mm f/2.8!

I ordered the lens on 26.3.2016. At that time the product name was: "Sony SEL70200GM 70-200mm F2.8" and the price was EUR 1.204,90. Description and images where of the new f/2.8 lens. At that time they had about 20 more items on stock.

Here is the mail, that confirmed my order:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A few days later I found a new price, but the same description:

Today I got the packet with the old Sony SEL70200G - 70-200mm f/4.0 G, which I own already.

And I find a new product name on the Amazon offer: Sony SEL70200G - 70-200mm f/4.0 G
But: still the wrong old description and images of the new f/2.8 lens!

Today the say, 2 to 4 weeks!

here is the Amazon "offer"

That rises the question:

is it just pure luck, when you get from Amazon what you ordered???

If you are at all familiar with Sony lens you would know this lens when released is going to be well over EUR 2,000.00. Probably closer to 3,000.00 So when stuff on the internet is too good to be true Buyer beware.

you are right, I expected to get the old f/4 lens (I have one already). I expect more than 3.000€ for the f/2.8.

In Germany a buyer is protected by law, if an item has a wrong price (as far as I know, but in the Internet times it may be different). But I would need a good lawyer to get it for this price in any future :-)

First picture looks like error from Amazon. They have millions of items so it happens...

We all know that price is too good to be true & it's not even out yet.

The others seem like third party seller error or scam? I could not find Amazon Germany as seller, are they out of stock or is it not the official listing?

First picture looks like error from Amazon. They have millions of items so it happens...

We all know that price is too good to be true & it's not even out yet.

The others seem like third party seller error or scam? I could not find Amazon Germany as seller, are they out of stock or is it not the official listing?

when I ordered the lens, they had 20 on stock, original from Amazon.

I guess, all of these lenses where bought as f/2.8 lenses. Even today you don't find any vendor, who is offering the new lens.

Now the offer only third party lenses.

Today I find a modified description of the lens, but still not correct. It still says 11 blades of the aperture and only the first image is the f/4 lens, the others are the f/2.8 model.

I must say again, it is a mess and nobody seems to know, what he/she is doing there!

• 2 weeks later...

That rises the question:

is it just pure luck, when you get from Amazon what you ordered???

No, this is what you get for trying to pull a fast one and hope that someone at Amazon screwed up and you somehow get the lens that hasn't even been released for half of what it's probably going to really sell for.  So, the joke's on you, haha!

It is obvious that Amazon made a mistake. Usually they are quite customer oriented and will do something for you. Did you already contact them to ask for clarification? Let us know what they saiy. Btw I ordered the same lens and mine will arrive buy mid of April.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Dirk, you took a potshot. You know full well that the GM lens hasn't been released or priced yet. You also know that it will be two to three times more expensive.

Just return the lens, get your money back and move on.

• 8 months later...

a few days ago I got the

Sony SEL70200GM - 70-200mm f/2.8!!

I payed exactly the price of the first offer: 1.204€ :)

I prefer my 70-200 f/4, it is so much lighter than this big lens, that I am not going to change.

Therefor I am selling it for 10% under the list price (only within the EU) here at the German DSLR forum:

http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=1759342

The lens is in original condition. I did not unpack or touch it. To my surprise the box has not been sealed!