Switching from Nikon

Andrea

Hello!

Tomorrow I will be trading in my Nikon d700 for an A7RII. I was wondering if any Nikon switchers had any tips for making the transition or things they wish they had known before they made the switch.

Thanks in advance!

Just that you'll hate the menu system (totally illogical compared to Nikon), AF Nikkors are very difficult to MF using simple adapter (so need the Commlite or Steel Chen's AF adapter when available), and the overall size difference between Nikon DSLR and a7rii is noticeable and fingers need to be more precise in motion.  I have an average size hands and its bit cramped for me.

Really crappy battery life.  Sony includes two w/a7rii but its not enough, if you shoot video at all.  Unless you are pro on a assignment shooting, for stills, two will get you through the day.  My single Nikon battery will get me through few days, if I manage the power decently.

I've never seen anyone make the comparison of density between a7rii body versus full sized DSLR but I bet that a7rii is more dense.  The fact that its more dense AND smaller, makes it more noticeable in your hand in terms of weight (more weight per square area on the palm of your hand).  When matched with large zooms/lenses, it is more difficult or awkward to handle than DSLR.

While I do not regret making the move, I did keep my Nikon setup.  I have learned much of Sony idiosyncrasies and how best to use a7rii 's capabilities.  I am currently experimenting how best to use a7rii with fast paced sports.  Thus far, mixed bag.  Some great images and not so great.  Keeper rate is probably bit higher than my Nikon but slow 5 fps has become quite noticeable.  

Using stills from 4K video (8mp images) at 30fps is viable but not every frame is clear and its a pure luck if the exact frame is fully focused or not in video.  This is not an issue in daylight as you can set the shutter speed for the video much higher but is not workable at all under the lights due to ISO and shutter speed tradeoff to control the image noise.  This is where a6300 would be good but its smaller still so with a big zoom, it would not be ideal ergonomically.  Unless I become more proficient and figure out a better and consistent results from using a7rii, it may come down to simply upgrading my Nikon setup to D500 and use a7rii for prime lenses and travel use.

Thank you so much for your insights!

I saw that the a7rii came with two batteries - does the camera use one at a time or both?

I've been mentally preparing for the menu system (just to expect to be frustrated), I don't shoot video, and I have short, stubby fingers. I played around with the rII body in a camera store last month and it felt quite comfortable to me.

I decided to sell the d700 and all of my glass and just make a completely fresh start, so I won't be using any adapters - at least at first.

I'm really excited to embark on this adventure. I rarely take out the Nikon because I feel like it is so big and heavy, so I don't shoot much and when I do I'm always rusty. I am hoping the smaller, lighter gear and the challenge of learning a new system will breathe new life into my photography.

Just that you'll hate the menu system (totally illogical compared to Nikon), AF Nikkors are very difficult to MF using simple adapter (so need the Commlite or Steel Chen's AF adapter when available), and the overall size difference between Nikon DSLR and a7rii is noticeable and fingers need to be more precise in motion.  I have an average size hands and its bit cramped for me.

Really crappy battery life.  Sony includes two w/a7rii but its not enough, if you shoot video at all.  Unless you are pro on a assignment shooting, for stills, two will get you through the day.  My single Nikon battery will get me through few days, if I manage the power decently.

I've never seen anyone make the comparison of density between a7rii body versus full sized DSLR but I bet that a7rii is more dense.  The fact that its more dense AND smaller, makes it more noticeable in your hand in terms of weight (more weight per square area on the palm of your hand).  When matched with large zooms/lenses, it is more difficult or awkward to handle than DSLR.

While I do not regret making the move, I did keep my Nikon setup.  I have learned much of Sony idiosyncrasies and how best to use a7rii 's capabilities.  I am currently experimenting how best to use a7rii with fast paced sports.  Thus far, mixed bag.  Some great images and not so great.  Keeper rate is probably bit higher than my Nikon but slow 5 fps has become quite noticeable.  

Using stills from 4K video (8mp images) at 30fps is viable but not every frame is clear and its a pure luck if the exact frame is fully focused or not in video.  This is not an issue in daylight as you can set the shutter speed for the video much higher but is not workable at all under the lights due to ISO and shutter speed tradeoff to control the image noise.  This is where a6300 would be good but its smaller still so with a big zoom, it would not be ideal ergonomically.  Unless I become more proficient and figure out a better and consistent results from using a7rii, it may come down to simply upgrading my Nikon setup to D500 and use a7rii for prime lenses and travel use.

Guest Peter Kelly

The trick with any new camera, irrespective of brand, is to bear two things in mind:

1. That it ALWAYS takes a certain time and adjusting settings to get the best result from your processing. So often people will have a certain expectation that the images from their shiny new toy will be spectacular straight away, yet when they aren't it is very disappointing. Almost without exception new cameras produce shots like unpolished diamonds, which look like dirty pebbles until treated just right and the light shines out!

2. Menus and operation aren't 'illogical', just different. So when you look for a function and can't find it straight away it's not because there is no logic, but simply it's in a different place.

This is inevitable switching between makes, as they approach UI differently. Neither are right, or wrong, but you have to be patient while learning. It's a bit like living in someone else's house for a while; they put their dishes in a different cupboard!

Thank you, Peter. I didn't really think about the processing part. Thanks for the heads-up on that. I did get the Friedman eBook and started reading that last night, so I think that will help with the menus.

My biggest thing right now is deciding what lens(es) to start with. I wish the new GM lenses were already out! I'm thinking about the 24-240 and a 55, but I need to see how heavy that 24-240 is.

Thank you again for the feedback!

The trick with any new camera, irrespective of brand, is to bear two things in mind:

1. That it ALWAYS takes a certain time and adjusting settings to get the best result from your processing. So often people will have a certain expectation that the images from their shiny new toy will be spectacular straight away, yet when they aren't it is very disappointing. Almost without exception new cameras produce shots like unpolished diamonds, which look like dirty pebbles until treated just right and the light shines out!

2. Menus and operation aren't 'illogical', just different. So when you look for a function and can't find it straight away it's not because there is no logic, but simply it's in a different place.

This is inevitable switching between makes, as they approach UI differently. Neither are right, or wrong, but you have to be patient while learning. It's a bit like living in someone else's house for a while; they put their dishes in a different cupboard!

I just transitioned from a Nikon D7100 over to an A7ii.  Of course, there are a number of things to get used to, and I'll point out a few of my observations:

1) I love the size/weight.  It is not a directly fair comparison because not only was the D7100 heavier than the A7ii body, but I generally used a 24-120 f4 on the Nikon, and use the 55 1.8 on the Sony as my main lens.

2) Button placement takes getting used to, but the 4 assignable custom buttons are fantastic and you can easily replicate many of your most-used settings with these.  Even the non-custom buttons are assignable.  It is very adaptable.  The menu system has so many options that it is intimidating at 1st, but not horrible to me as some others have complained.

3) Focusing is probably the thing that has taken me longest to adapt to.  There are several modalities and how you access/select points quite different from Nikon.

4) I haven't yet figured out a quick way to zoom to the focus point.  On my D7100 I had the center OK button assigned to zoom, but on the Sony it is the C3 button and is very very slow to show the photo zoomed in.  The Nikon was nearly instant.  Am I missing something?

5) I've learned that I prefer manual flash over TTL.  Took some messing around, but I am getting far superior results with my inexpensive Yongnuo class and wireless trigger that I spent $140 on compared to the iTTL SB-700 that was over 2x the cost.  I rarely used the SB-700 but am considering adding another YN560 to my bag.

6) Lastly, and probably most importantly, I decided pretty quickly to use native lenses as my main lenses.  Initially I planned to pick up several Canon lenses (50, 85, 24-105, 70-200) with an auto-focus adapter.  But when I realized some of the compromises, ranging from focus speed to eye AF capability to size (since you need the ~1" adapter), I decided that adapting lenses was great for those "odd ball" lenses, but I wanted the "real experience" for my normal use.  So I only have the 55 1.8 now, and will soon add the Sony 70-200 f4.  Then, I bought a couple of older Canon MF lenses and a dumb adapter that are really great to use, but secondary for me.  I will definitely add some additional MF lenses as I progress.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks, John

Thanks John!

I had already made the decision to stick with native glass to keep things as light and simple as possible. Once I am comfortable with the camera I do intend to get an adapter and some legacy glass to play with, but that is a ways down the road.

Thank you for mentioning the flash. One of my concerns with the switch was the size of the hot shoe - my only experience with a Sony camera before now was a fellow attendee at a workshop several years ago. Apparently the hot shoe used to be a unique size and she was unable to use the wireless triggers. It seems like the hot shoe on the A7RII is a more standard size now, is that correct? I don't use flash often, but when I do I use manual, so I will definitely pick up one of the units you mentioned.

Thanks again!

I just transitioned from a Nikon D7100 over to an A7ii.  Of course, there are a number of things to get used to, and I'll point out a few of my observations:

1) I love the size/weight.  It is not a directly fair comparison because not only was the D7100 heavier than the A7ii body, but I generally used a 24-120 f4 on the Nikon, and use the 55 1.8 on the Sony as my main lens.

2) Button placement takes getting used to, but the 4 assignable custom buttons are fantastic and you can easily replicate many of your most-used settings with these.  Even the non-custom buttons are assignable.  It is very adaptable.  The menu system has so many options that it is intimidating at 1st, but not horrible to me as some others have complained.

3) Focusing is probably the thing that has taken me longest to adapt to.  There are several modalities and how you access/select points quite different from Nikon.

4) I haven't yet figured out a quick way to zoom to the focus point.  On my D7100 I had the center OK button assigned to zoom, but on the Sony it is the C3 button and is very very slow to show the photo zoomed in.  The Nikon was nearly instant.  Am I missing something?

5) I've learned that I prefer manual flash over TTL.  Took some messing around, but I am getting far superior results with my inexpensive Yongnuo class and wireless trigger that I spent $140 on compared to the iTTL SB-700 that was over 2x the cost.  I rarely used the SB-700 but am considering adding another YN560 to my bag.

6) Lastly, and probably most importantly, I decided pretty quickly to use native lenses as my main lenses.  Initially I planned to pick up several Canon lenses (50, 85, 24-105, 70-200) with an auto-focus adapter.  But when I realized some of the compromises, ranging from focus speed to eye AF capability to size (since you need the ~1" adapter), I decided that adapting lenses was great for those "odd ball" lenses, but I wanted the "real experience" for my normal use.  So I only have the 55 1.8 now, and will soon add the Sony 70-200 f4.  Then, I bought a couple of older Canon MF lenses and a dumb adapter that are really great to use, but secondary for me.  I will definitely add some additional MF lenses as I progress.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks, John

Guest Jaf-Photo

Switching systems will be a big change. Everything you're used to will be different. Ideally, you should try the new system before you dump the old one.

I dumped my Canon gear about a year ago, efter shooting it parallel with Sony. I still miss my Canon bodies and lenses. And I don't think my photos are any better today than they were before. New gear is never a shortcut to better images. 

Personally, I wouldn't do the jump without knowing what I jump into. I did and still I have come to regret it.

Over time I am going to migrate from Sony to Nikon, because I don't like the direction Sony is taking with lenses etc. I'm not in a hurry so if Sony sorts themselves out, they might win be back.

Interesting perspective. Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, I had to sell the Nikon gear to pay for the Sony gear. I suppose I could have rented, but I am not patient and I've always been the kind of person who just goes for it. So, as of about 11:30am ET today, it is done. Wish me luck!

Switching systems will be a big change. Everything you're used to will be different. Ideally, you should try the new system before you dump the old one.

I dumped my Canon gear about a year ago, efter shooting it parallel with Sony. I still miss my Canon bodies and lenses. And I don't think my photos are any better today than they were before. New gear is never a shortcut to better images. 

Personally, I wouldn't do the jump without knowing what I jump into. I did and still I have come to regret it.

Over time I am going to migrate from Sony to Nikon, because I don't like the direction Sony is taking with lenses etc. I'm not in a hurry so if Sony sorts themselves out, they might win be back.

I made the switch some time ago, had a type 1 untill the mk2 came out. The menus actually are not really bad and I use both Sony and adapted lenses. It is a joy to focus manually with olde MF lenses, both Nikon and others makes. Sometimes I miss my D800E but I never miss the extra kilos.

Thanks John!

I had already made the decision to stick with native glass to keep things as light and simple as possible. Once I am comfortable with the camera I do intend to get an adapter and some legacy glass to play with, but that is a ways down the road.

Thank you for mentioning the flash. One of my concerns with the switch was the size of the hot shoe - my only experience with a Sony camera before now was a fellow attendee at a workshop several years ago. Apparently the hot shoe used to be a unique size and she was unable to use the wireless triggers. It seems like the hot shoe on the A7RII is a more standard size now, is that correct? I don't use flash often, but when I do I use manual, so I will definitely pick up one of the units you mentioned.

Thanks again!

I am not sure it matters, but I bought the Canon transmitter instead of the Nikon version.  I could be completely off-base, but I thought I read somewhere that the Canon was preferred for the Sony mount.  Anyhow, the flash is Yongnuo YN560 IV and transmitter Yongnuo YN560-TX.  Excellent value.

Hello!

Tomorrow I will be trading in my Nikon d700 for an A7RII. I was wondering if any Nikon switchers had any tips for making the transition or things they wish they had known before they made the switch.

Thanks in advance!

Transition will be easier compared to Canon user.

Nikon and Sony have same on-off switch location, zooming direction for going wide & telescope.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Interesting perspective. Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, I had to sell the Nikon gear to pay for the Sony gear. I suppose I could have rented, but I am not patient and I've always been the kind of person who just goes for it. So, as of about 11:30am ET today, it is done. Wish me luck!

Ok, keep us posted!

I switched from a D700 to the A7II - using it with vintage CY Zeiss MF lenses - in November. Loving every second of the experience. I have since sold all my Nikon stuff.

I don't mind the Sony Menu system at all. Customization goes a long way to adapt the camera to my needs.

If you are switching out of Nikon lenses, I would recommend you try some vintage MF glass - I really don't miss AF that much...

• 2 weeks later...

My observation is that the A7rII is the top of the line for Sony.

I only own an A7s for it's low light Video capability.

It took about 5 minutes to switch from Minolta to a D1.

I found the big buttons and the menus very intuitive.

I have had my A7s for one year and still hate the little buttons and the menus.

The only Sony lens I like is the 28-135 Cine. It makes the outfit very large and heavy.

Even with the 24-70 I don't really notice much decrease in size and weight compared to the D750 and the superior 24-70 Nikkor.

If you want small and light, get a MFT camera like the GH4 or one of those cheap pocket cameras.

I would get a dual battery charger.

Keep the best of your Nikon lenses just in case you don't like it and decide to buy a D750.

BTW Nikon lenses focus great on Sony cameras via a simple adapter (manually).

Go through the menu and set the camera up then use the FUNC button to change the most often used.

If you are a hobbyist you will be fine, it will be fun, if you do it for a living you're brave lol.

Oh, lastly I recommend the Sony version of Capture One, better than Lightroom, works so well!

These threads always seem to assume that the intention is to switch manufacturer but stick to the same style of photography. I wonder, however, whether most "switchers" are also motivated by a desire to change their style ('focus'?) of photography too? If that's the case then different workflows become less important as the steps in the process change accordingly.

I've made lots of "switches" - but only if and when I wanted to try something new. That's the fun of it - selectng the tool for the job. No pressure for me of having to make a living from it which makes it easier I suppose.

Latest switch (albeit not involving sale/purchase) is to put the A7s away and go back to the gorgeous 10 bit prores HQ of the blackmagic pocket.... the Sony is a fabulous camera but only for low light video. Once you've "resolved" to play with 10 bit, the fragile 8 bit shows its limitations (although, of course, there is nothing wrong with out of camera footage plus minimal grading).

Once the bees arrive no doubt it'll be back playing with the 1000fps of the rx1004!

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

I did the same thing - read about my journey here ... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nikon-sony-alpha-my-journey-discovery-dan-lee?trk=mp-author-card

That is a great point. I'm not so much looking to change my style of photography as I am looking to re-invigorate it. My intention is (and has been) to do mostly travel photography with some stylized portraiture (mostly cosplay) for fun. Part of the problem I was having was that I found the Nikon D700 + 24-70 2.8 to be so bulky and heavy that I just never brought it anywhere with me. I was thinking that the challenge of learning a new camera system combined with the smaller, lighter form factor would motivate me to take the camera out more and shoot more.

These threads always seem to assume that the intention is to switch manufacturer but stick to the same style of photography. I wonder, however, whether most "switchers" are also motivated by a desire to change their style ('focus'?) of photography too? If that's the case then different workflows become less important as the steps in the process change accordingly.
I've made lots of "switches" - but only if and when I wanted to try something new. That's the fun of it - selectng the tool for the job. No pressure for me of having to make a living from it which makes it easier I suppose.
Latest switch (albeit not involving sale/purchase) is to put the A7s away and go back to the gorgeous 10 bit prores HQ of the blackmagic pocket.... the Sony is a fabulous camera but only for low light video. Once you've "resolved" to play with 10 bit, the fragile 8 bit shows its limitations (although, of course, there is nothing wrong with out of camera footage plus minimal grading).

Once the bees arrive no doubt it'll be back playing with the 1000fps of the rx1004!

So, it's been two weeks. I have not taken the new Sony gear out as much as I would like because I've been traveling to cold places and I'm a Florida girl. But even limited by the cold, I have used it more in the past two weeks than I used my Nikon from September 2015 up to trading it for the Sony (February 17)

So far I am very pleased with the 55mm 1.8:

http://www.andreagonzales.com/Sony/n-VzXmDQ/i-XGWrSTc/A

http://www.andreagonzales.com/Sony/n-VzXmDQ/i-kbJtxrz/A

http://www.andreagonzales.com/Sony/n-VzXmDQ/i-T5VvRr7/A

As for the 24-240, I think with some practice I will be able to make peace with it.

http://www.andreagonzales.com/Sony/n-VzXmDQ/i-cBsfMRR/A

http://www.andreagonzales.com/Sony/n-VzXmDQ/i-Xbr9cX5/A

Overall, I am happy with my decision to make the switch.

One last question: How do I embed an image in the body of my post? I can't figure it out for the life of me!

Guest Jaf-Photo

Have you made the switch yet and what do you think?

For me, changing gear never improves my photography per se. On the contrary, I get even worse while I'm learning the new gear ;)

One really good trick to improve, is to go analogue. It will put you back in touch with the fundamentals of photography such as exposure and composition. Having to slow down to previsualise the shots will carry over into digital photography. There are a lot of pocket size analog cameras that you can carry with you everywhere.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck.

I got the Sony two weeks ago. Posted links to some photos above.

So far I'm happy. I really like the 55mm 1.8, the 24-240 is growing on me. I haven't shot as much as I would like, but I've shot more in the last two weeks than in the previous five months so I consider that a win.

The thing I felt was most wrong with my photography was that I was always rusty since I used the camera so rarely. So that's why I was hoping the challenge of learning to new system would inspire me to take it out more. So far, it's working. It would help a lot more if the weather was warmer! I am not equipped for winter. 

Have you made the switch yet and what do you think?

For me, changing gear never improves my photography per se. On the contrary, I get even worse while I'm learning the new gear ;)

One really good trick to improve, is to go analogue. It will put you back in touch with the fundamentals of photography such as exposure and composition. Having to slow down to previsualise the shots will carry over into digital photography. There are a lot of pocket size analog cameras that you can carry with you everywhere.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck.

The thing I felt was most wrong with my photography was that I was always rusty since I used the camera so rarely. So that's why I was hoping the challenge of learning to new system would inspire me to take it out more. So far, it's working. It would help a lot more if the weather was warmer! I am not equipped for winter. 

I agree with you. I rarely bothered getting my DSLR out because it was too big, too heavy, and got in the way of everything. Because of the size of the camera, it was left at home, and I often went out carrying my P&S. For me, it was either switch systems to Sony, or consider buying a high quality P&S.

Guest Jaf-Photo

You can't go wrong with 55/1.8 on A7RII. If it gets you shooting more, it's a win.

For me the size of the camera is less of a factor as I carry lenses and acessories. I often use the same camera bag for DSLR and mirrorless.

I got the Sony two weeks ago. Posted links to some photos above.

So far I'm happy. I really like the 55mm 1.8, the 24-240 is growing on me. I haven't shot as much as I would like, but I've shot more in the last two weeks than in the previous five months so I consider that a win.