Sell FE55 f1.8 and replace it with FE70-200 - your thoughts?

Mr_A7s

Hi guys,

I'm thinking selling my FE55 and use that money toward FE70-200.

Why? I'm currently shooting with A7r II and A7s. All my lenses are native and want to keep it that way(Batis 25 & 85 and FE55). I like to shoot with 2 bodies. Right now, longest native lens I have is Batis 85. There were times I need longer fl than 85mm. I've been thinking selling my FE55 and use that money toward to FE70-200. The copy FE55 I have is so sharp, hate to sell a good copy. Since the Batis lenses arrived, my FE55 didn't get used much. I wish Sony/Zeiss would release FE70-200 f2.8 tomorrow, so decision is much easier to make :)

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Best,

Mr_A7s

Hi guys,

I'm thinking selling my FE55 and use that money toward FE70-200.

Why? I'm currently shooting with A7r II and A7s. All my lenses are native and want to keep it that way(Batis 25 & 85 and FE55). I like to shoot with 2 bodies. Right now, longest native lens I have is Batis 85. There were times I need longer fl than 85mm. I've been thinking selling my FE55 and use that money toward to FE70-200. The copy FE55 I have is so sharp, hate to sell a good copy. Since the Batis lenses arrived, my FE55 didn't get used much. I wish Sony/Zeiss would release FE70-200 f2.8 tomorrow, so decision is much easier to make :)

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Best,

Mr_A7s

If you're in this deep you may as well just ADD the 70-200! I've been tempted several times to sell my FE55 because it was being underused but I still have it and I'm glad that I held on to it. It's a keeper in my estimation!

Hi,

I have the same dilema, but in another way: I own the 55 and don't know if buy the baits 85 or go for the 70-200. 55 and 85 would be very similar (except for the OSS), and the batis is so expensive... I can't afford both 85 and 70-200 at the moment.

The yield on Batis is better...especially bokeh. However, fe55 is very good lens.

This is nuts.

Completely different range and use.

Yes you can use both for capturing images but it's like saying I can use my car or motor home to commute or goto grocery store. Both are vehicles but does anyone really commute in a motor home?

Don't do it!  The 55 is so nice, and not just for IQ.  It's just a nicely balanced lens that fulfills mirrorless's promise of compactness.  I've used my wife's 70-200, and it's also a great lens, but sharpness is not in league with the 55.  I agree with the other guy who says to keep both.  Personally, I'd like a native zoom up to 400 or longer for sports and wildlife. 

Don't do it! The 55 is so nice, and not just for IQ. It's just a nicely balanced lens that fulfills mirrorless's promise of compactness. I've used my wife's 70-200, and it's also a great lens, but sharpness is not in league with the 55. I agree with the other guy who says to keep both. Personally, I'd like a native zoom up to 400 or longer for sports and wildlife.

I agree with you about the size and balance of fe55.

I saw some reviews and most gave thumbs up with 70-200. I would love to see rumors 70-200 f2.8 or 135f2. I don't mind adding 100-400 to my bag as well. I'm a canon guy and still have some gear and L lenses. I like to make a jump to mirrorless but fe lens selection seems limited at this moment.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

If you're looking for advice.

I think you're going to get a lot of the same answer.

I doubt anyone would suggest someone who has the 55 f1.8 should get rid of it. For any reason..

I know I wouldn't..

Other than the lens on the front of my RX1R, the 55 is the 2nd best lens (for straight-up results) I've ever had.

I'd swap it for a 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH.

But that's about it..

I shot this just a little while ago in my front yard. Not the greatest photo ever. But it sure gets the message about the lens across in my opinion.

23441239932_b30be0a22b_b.jpgSummer snow-balls. S Zeiss 55mm f1.8 by Josh, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshinthecity/23441239932/in/dateposted-public/

j.

When I still was using the Canon F-1 the lens I used most was the FD 100 mm f2.8. I did use the 50 mm 1.8, 1.4 and the 28 mm and the 24mm, but not nearly as much. The 200mm f4.0 also much less often than the 100mm. 100mm at least 70 to 80 pct of the time. But had I been an architect I'd have used wide angle lenses. Perhaps also as a landscape photographer which I wasn't. My pics are mostly about people.  When I had the Canon EOS 5D3 I mostly used the 24-105mm zoom. Most often at 105mm. Loved that lens. Kind regards, Freddy.

My advice would be to keep the 55 lens. I often browse topics and I frequently see the Sony Zeiss 55mm FE 4/ lens listed as one of the top lenses ever made. It may be the best lens for Sony FE cameras for years to come. Before I switched from Pentax to Sony, I used to buy and sell lenses almost monthly. The only lenses I wished I had never sold were high rated prime lenses. Indeed, I'd have to buy back a lens that I had sold. When I switched to Sony full frame, my first choice was a highly rated prime that I could use in most situations. I soon bought the 70-200 mm lens, which is far more bulky than the 55mm and simply not as good a lens. Now I am waiting to get the 15-35 mm zoom, but again, I won't sell the 55.

Stick with the 55 and you'll always have one of the top quality lenses ever made.

I agree with you about the size and balance of fe55.

I saw some reviews and most gave thumbs up with 70-200. I would love to see rumors 70-200 f2.8 or 135f2. I don't mind adding 100-400 to my bag as well. I'm a canon guy and still have some gear and L lenses. I like to make a jump to mirrorless but fe lens selection seems limited at this moment.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Thanks for your feedback

If you're looking for advice.

I think you're going to get a lot of the same answer.

I doubt anyone would suggest someone who has the 55 f1.8 should get rid of it. For any reason..

I know I wouldn't..

Other than the lens on the front of my RX1R, the 55 is the 2nd best lens (for straight-up results) I've ever had.

I'd swap it for a 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH.

But that's about it..

I shot this just a little while ago in my front yard. Not the greatest photo ever. But it sure gets the message about the lens across in my opinion.

23441239932_b30be0a22b_b.jpgSummer snow-balls. S Zeiss 55mm f1.8 by Josh, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshinthecity/23441239932/in/dateposted-public/

j.

Thanks for your feedback. Great catch :)

When I still was using the Canon F-1 the lens I used most was the FD 100 mm f2.8. I did use the 50 mm 1.8, 1.4 and the 28 mm and the 24mm, but not nearly as much. The 200mm f4.0 also much less often than the 100mm. 100mm at least 70 to 80 pct of the time. But had I been an architect I'd have used wide angle lenses. Perhaps also as a landscape photographer which I wasn't. My pics are mostly about people.  When I had the Canon EOS 5D3 I mostly used the 24-105mm zoom. Most often at 105mm. Loved that lens. Kind regards, Freddy.

I like to frame my photos tight as well. 135 and 85 are my favorite. I like to switch to Sony ff mirrorless someday. Right now, native AF lenses are so limit at this moment especially 135mm and up. F4 is not enough for that shallow depth of field.

I still love my canon 200mm f2 IS and 1dx combo.

My advice would be to keep the 55 lens. I often browse topics and I frequently see the Sony Zeiss 55mm FE 4/ lens listed as one of the top lenses ever made. It may be the best lens for Sony FE cameras for years to come. Before I switched from Pentax to Sony, I used to buy and sell lenses almost monthly. The only lenses I wished I had never sold were high rated prime lenses. Indeed, I'd have to buy back a lens that I had sold. When I switched to Sony full frame, my first choice was a highly rated prime that I could use in most situations. I soon bought the 70-200 mm lens, which is far more bulky than the 55mm and simply not as good a lens. Now I am waiting to get the 15-35 mm zoom, but again, I won't sell the 55.

Stick with the 55 and you'll always have one of the top quality lenses ever made.

The FE55 is truly a great lens from size to iq.

Thanks for your feedback.