35mm F/1.8 (SEL35F18) aberrations

I just got my shiny new SEL35F18, hoping it would be that kind of lens that almost stays superglued onto my A6000.

Maybe I´m being picky here, but even in the first test shots I noticed some aberrations in the bokeh and on high contrast edges.

I´ll try to make some useful examples...

...but until then. Any comments from other SEL35F18 users out there?

/Allan

Thank you all a lot for the feedback!

The new sigma looks very good indeed - my problem with it (other than availability now now now) is that I want a truly light and compact lens that I can take anywhere.

It would seem that the aberrations is just the compromise I´ll have to live with in order to ditch the awful 16-50 kit lens. In all likelihood no one but me will notice them anyway. I´m just being spoilt by the A7II and gigantic lenses I can´t realistically take with me mountainbiking for example. :)

/Allan

Hi Allan

yes that is the reason i use rangefinderlenses

my smallest and most loved lens is the M-Rokkor C40mm F2 (Summicron C40) but it is manual focus 

the sigma 30mm 2.8 is also great and small, has better IQ than the SEL35 but is a little bit boring

the SEL35 has more character IMO but is not sharp and a little bit cloudy

I used to have the SEL35f1.8. I liked it, especially since it was tiny, light, fast and had OSS.

I remember, however, that there was quite strong CA, especially on ont the close-ups of cherry-tree blossoms I used to make.

I ended up selling it for the Zeiss 24. However, I sometimes miss it. The OSS combined with the 1.8 aperture was really a killer for handheld photography in low light situations.

My opinion is that unless you prefer to take the Touit or you find out 35mm isn't your focal length, you should keep it. I haven't owned the 30f2.8, but I'm pretty sure at f2.8, the 35f1.8 is almost as sharp. The huge plus is you have OSS, which is invaluable at this focal length.

Thank you all a lot for the feedback!

It would seem that the aberrations is just the compromise I´ll have to live with in order to ditch the awful 16-50 kit lens. In all likelihood no one but me will notice them anyway. I´m just being spoilt by the A7II and gigantic lenses I can´t realistically take with me mountainbiking for example. :)

/Allan

Mountain biking - Flipside Sport 10L AW; has room for A7II + Batis 25 + Batis 85 (+ loxia), some Lee filters, and has carry straps for a tripod plus room for a "water bladder". You can carry bigger lenses in it too, but it gets heavier.

timde: While lugging an A7 variant + awersome lens(es) around is technically an option, in reality it isn´t. Or rather depends on the purpose of the trip. If the purpose is to ride then A7 isn't feasible. If the purpose is to just cruise around on the bike and find fantastic images however - that´s a different matter altogether.

Gilgenberg: Thank you for that, somewhat annoying, semi scientific investigation. Now that I already have the SEL35F18.  :)

The happy compromise might still be the SEL5F18 though. I will enjojy the OSS and that alone might allow for more usable shots. Pretty sure pixel peeping isn´t so relevant for the kind of shots it will be used for, so hopefully I can live with the aberrations. If not... Money wasted!

Thanks again to all!

/Allan

the sel35f18 is a good lens for portrait, has much more character than the sigma and oss

the sigma is better for details..... landscape etc. and documentary things

the sigma was very cheap, i payed for my sigma 30mm 2.8, 90€ new some time ago

if you don´t like the sony after some time it is easy to sell the lens