Pre-Valentine's concert

poki

I'm not quite happy with the results I achieve when shooting concerts. I never have been. It's just not the thing I feel most comfortable with. After all, it's pretty much the opposite of what I love to shoot - landscapes.

Still, the band seems to like what they see, because the keep hiring me. The concert this time was incredibly bad lit. You barely couldn't see the band with your eye, and the ONLY light source for 95% of the concert was a single strobe light, with no base light to support it. You can imagine just how hard it is to focus a T/0.95 lens on fast moving subjects with only a light flash now and then to support you. So actually, I'm surprised I even got a few usable photos. Luckily, for the last song, they also turned on a light on the back wall, which is where most of my keepers come from. Just for the record - I talked with the guy in charge of lighting, but he didn't care ...

16349280170_bd83cc33c2_b.jpg

16535751162_90d785c408_b.jpg

16350821407_a23098bb25_b.jpg

16350857417_857db123ba_b.jpg

16349316210_b3c3239d17_b.jpg

16510729236_5298ff91c7_b.jpg

16535765062_d668a9b545_b.jpg

If nothing else, my Concert photography portfolio is starting to look a little more complete. Which is a good thing, since I got hired to shoot a far bigger event next Friday. It's weird how I keep sliding into this concert photography thing without me ever wanting to shoot a concert. I never asked a band or organizer to let me shoot, I never brought a camera to an event, I didn't even use my phone to get a snapshot while attending concerts. Still, slowly I'm starting to enjoy this thing. Let's see where it takes me.

As always, please feel free to comment and criticize. I appreciate any helpful tip on how to do better next time.