ADVICE: Lens decission for Travel photography. Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 or G-Master 24-70mm

Hi Gang,

I'd like some input for my soon to be lens purchase.

I mainly do travel/street photography. I got the a7rII and Zeiss 24-70mm f4 in January and in a couple months going to return to Havana. This will be my first real trip with this camera.

Prior, I shot a Panasonic GH-2 with a 12-35mm f2.8 and the great 20mm f 1.7.

I likegto print large on a 44" Epson. 

I am considering getting either the 35mm f 1.4 Sigma ART lens or the Zeiss 35mm f1.4.

There is no benefit shooting the 35mm for size like my previous 20mm pancake.

i can shoot a lot at 35mm. In Lightroom, maybe half my previous shoot was with the 20mm (about 35mm in ff).

My other option would be to sell my F4 24-70 and upgrade to the G-master 24-70 f2.8.   And no prime.

I know some don't like the F4 Zeiss, but my limited use shows it very sharp.

Drawback is the g-master is $$ and big. not good for street photography.

I'd be limited to f2.8 in the evenings.

I've tried the Sony 35mm f1.4 and it feels nice other than the size.

Any thoughts on my purchase options?

You can see the type of work I shoot here:

https://issuu.com/redenvelope2/docs/cuba_catalog

Thanks

Maxi

I own both lenses and they both have their own special things.

With my a7rII and decent light, I would attach the 2470GM. Image quality is best compared to other native lenses. Sharp wide open. Cropping the 7rii raw files with GM lenses seem to be the best combo. The 2470GM and my a7s can handle low light situation very well, but this is not what you have...

When the light is gone and darkness arises, my 35f1.4 and a7s is my favorite combo. Imagine quality is excellent at wide open. It's tack sharp at f2 on my copy. Those expecting tack sharp corner to corner at f1.4, this lens is not for you... 

If you are a 35mm guy, I would recommend the 35f1.4. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either lenses.

I am not a fan of zooms, mostly due to weight. The last thing I want on a mirrorless body like my A7R2 and A7S2 is a large heavy zoom like the G-master 24-70.

For street shooting I take two lenses - the Zeiss Batis 25mm and the 85mm. Both these together weigh the same as your zoom lens and together are almost the same price. The Batis 25mm is on my A7R2 75% of the time. It's hands down the best street lens there is with no distortion. The Batis range is made specially for the A7R with auto-focus. For people/portraits just move up to the Batis 85mm.

Love my 35/1.4, can only recommend it.

Great rendering and bokeh wide open yet tack sharp corner to corner stopped down for landscapes. Also love the aperture ring.

Now it is big and heavy, but the GM zoom would be even worse...

For a light weight setup (travel) you could also go the 35/2.8 (or 28/2) & 55/1.8 route.

Also have a look at the Batis lenses.

For a short while I was also considering the GM 24-70 for a simplified travel kit.  After looking at the size, weight and appearance I shelved the idea.  Earlier this year I travelled with the 7R2 with16-35 f4, 35 f2.8, 55 f1.8 and 85mm Batis and found it too much.  For an upcoming trip to Barcelona, I wanted to re-work my kit.  

I was never overly fond of the 35mm f2.8, the 16-35 zoom was very convenient for travel but the 35mm focal length performance was not great unless stopped down to almost f8.  This week I took delivery of the 25mm Batis which looks really promising for speed and close focus ability and what I think may also work for you, a used Sony RX 1.  Initially testing and early shots show it to be outstanding.

There are numerous reports on how good the Sonnar f2 lens is, so I tested it against my 16-35 zoom, 35 f2.8 and a Zeiss classic 35mm f2, all on the 7R2.  In my studio, under similar conditions, the little RX 1 with the Sonnar proved the winner as far as sharpness (centre and corner), from wide open to f11.  The RX 1's file had more "pop" too because of increased contrast.  Of course it's only 24 MP, has inferior focus, limited video, etc, etc but a great size and lens.  

I think it might be worth considering for your style of shooting.  There are copies available at B&H or Adorama in good - excellent condition from $1,100; you can return if unhappy and also have a limited warranty.

So I think my travel kit will be the 7R2 with 25mm Batis, 55 f1.8 and the new old RX 1.

Thanks for the advice. I think my Uncle is considering the 25mm Batis. If i could only have one lens I'd go with a 35mm. like I said, I giot the a7RII for the 42 mpx. I have a 44" Epson so i have a real need for the megapixels.

the 25mm batis sounds interesting though i don't know if that is too wide for my general use.

Thanks

Maxi

I think the lens you really want is the 35mm f/1.4, particularly for low light situations.  I would suggest you rent it and see if you are okay with the size; I am.  If it is dusk or dark, I always put in on my A7Rii instead of my 24-70mm GM.

If it is to big/heavy for you, then I think you either do the Batis 25mm  or the Sony/Zeiss 35mm f/2.8.  I would have recommended the Batis outright, because you could shoot in crop mode making it about a 37mm, but you lose pixels which you said are important to you.