I compare my a7Rii with my 5Diii

Batis

I did a video review explaining why I believe the Sony a7Rii is better than the 5Diii. I have both but I haven't touched my Canon since purchasing the a7ii (pre Rii) in mid 2015.

Let me know if you think my five reasons make sense.

I had an opportunity to work with a Nikon D750 along with their 24-120 and 70-300vr zooms. They are amazing indeed and very low noise. However there is NO way it pulls the resolution and contrast the A7RII I now have did when I compared them side by side. Sure, the D750 will outfocus the A7RII on average for speed. However it is NOT as accurate which is why I took it back. Welcome to DSLR's as NONE of them have that distinct behavior of a well designed mirrorless system where there is NO focus error and NO need to adjust lenses for their focus adjustment. One reason I viewed the DSLR as an "old" technology. Unacceptable for my shooting style of portraits and landscapes.

I had an opportunity to work with a Nikon D750 along with their 24-120 and 70-300vr zooms. They are amazing indeed and very low noise. However there is NO way it pulls the resolution and contrast the A7RII I now have did when I compared them side by side. Sure, the D750 will outfocus the A7RII on average for speed. However it is NOT as accurate which is why I took it back. Welcome to DSLR's as NONE of them have that distinct behavior of a well designed mirrorless system where there is NO focus error and NO need to adjust lenses for their focus adjustment. One reason I viewed the DSLR as an "old" technology. Unacceptable for my shooting style of portraits and landscapes.

Those Nikon lenses are on Sony 24-240mm level. Is that what you used and compared to on the RII?

And mirrorless can have focus errors. You are at the mercy of the software working properly and having the lens mount/sensor, etc. being accurately manufactured. These are mechanical after all.

You harp about speed but shoot portrait & landscape :rolleyes:

I certainly didn't "harp" on focus speed, just stating what is already known in the industry and with experience using a lot of various cameras. As far as accuracy is concerned, with the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss Sonnar and 55mm f1.8 Zeiss along with the 70-200G f4 I have not had one error from those under any conditions. Can't say that about most DSLR's. That was my point

I certainly didn't "harp" on focus speed, just stating what is already known in the industry and with experience using a lot of various cameras. As far as accuracy is concerned, with the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss Sonnar and 55mm f1.8 Zeiss along with the 70-200G f4 I have not had one error from those under any conditions. Can't say that about most DSLR's. That was my point

"just stating what is already known"

...and people wonder why others get annoyed as hell on here.

Come back after using the Nikon equivalent of your Sony lenses or the 24-240mm than you can compare speed, accuracy, resolution.

Guest Peter Kelly

...and people wonder why others get annoyed as hell on here.

Really not wanting to be disrespectful, but I wonder why people 'get annoyed as hell' on forums, other than when subjected to unwarranted abruptness or even downright rudeness.

I know there are trolls (I don't believe you are one), but it is the widespread jumping down throats that I don't understand.

By all means hold different opinions, but another person's view cannot hurt someone, rather only help if it offers some more information and another perspective.

Frequently I'll express an opinion, on the main site, that I won't ever hold as sacrosanct or immovable, and yet posters will immediately hurl insults and question my intellect. I don't know everything, nor profess to, but I simply don't understand why people feel the need to be so blunt and positive that they are entirely right while I am outrageously wrong.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with aspects of your comparison, but perhaps a little more circumspect next time, eh?

Really not wanting to be disrespectful, but I wonder why people 'get annoyed as hell' on forums, other than when subjected to unwarranted abruptness or even downright rudeness.

I know there are trolls (I don't believe you are one), but it is the widespread jumping down throats that I don't understand.

By all means hold different opinions, but another person's view cannot hurt someone, rather only help if it offers some more information and another perspective.

Frequently I'll express an opinion, on the main site, that I won't ever hold as sacrosanct or immovable, and yet posters will immediately hurl insults and question my intellect. I don't know everything, nor profess to, but I simply don't understand why people feel the need to be so blunt and positive that they are entirely right while I am outrageously wrong.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with aspects of your comparison, but perhaps a little more circumspect next time, eh?

It wasn't about right or wrong.

It's people keep "just stating what is already known in the industry" that everyone on a rumor forum would know so why state it?

We don't need to know that a dual clutch auto transmission shifts faster than a manual on a car forum, for example.

Guest Peter Kelly

By the same token, if no one said anything that others knew already, conversation in general would be very stilted indeed!

The point I was making, if poorly, that I feel we should try not to, metaphorically speaking, jump down people's throats when they post an opinion.

After all, they may not be the best at expressing themselves, they may be a little hurried, perhaps even a little careless in the choice of words, so it doesn't reflect well on us if we give them an undeserved lambasting.

Of course, if someone states something to be true which is demonstrably false and that anyone who believes otherwise is lacking in intelligence then it is reasonable to correct them with evidence.

Should they not accept the contradiction then perhaps they deserve to be progressively admonished, but the speed with which internet discussions resort to ridiculing is often quite frightening.

Ok so let me introduce myself. I began in Digital back in 1997 and jumped into the DSLR world in 1999 when I began shooting weddings for pay. I started with the D30 Canon jumping to the 1D pro body and a bevy of pro lenses and flashes. I jumped ship to the D200 Nikon, had a D300, D700 and D7000 along with their top lenses. Due in part to having had my shoulders surgically redone I found the weight a burden, so switched over to Micro 4/3rd gear with Olympus. I went for several bodies of theirs as they got better and added their top lenses. I then switched over to the Fuji X-TI and their top lenses for about 8 months but wasn't pleased with their higher ISO performance. After working with loaned Sony A77MII and Canon 70D's and some nice lenses to test out, I gave up for a while, as once again didn't really want to go with the weighty systems again. I settled on the Panasonic FZ1000 to tide me over while I saw the technology change. I felt that the Nikon D750 had so much going for it along with the superb 24-120 lens, which was sharp all over as well as their competent (and I had one before) 70-300vr. I was about settled on it but realized it had just the 1080 video and once again the weight involved which I felt wouldn't go for me for long. I had the opportunity to work for several days with the Sony A7RII along with the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss, 55mm f1.8 Zeiss and 70-200G f4. In EVERY way one can go into, the Sony trumped the Nikon with the exception of fast moving subject focus lock, although in halfway decent light the Sony nailed subjects as well. THAT is where I'm coming from and THAT is why my statement, which I will maintain as true. The 70-300vr required some lens calibration adjustment for accuracy and wasn't 100% dead on all the time at the different focal lengths. That is NOT a problem at least with ANY of the mirrorless camera's I've owned and that would be several. So I will stand by my statement. DSLR focusing is NOT a consistently accurate as the Sony, and many reviewers I've read both in print and Youtube completely agree including Dpreview on their low light test where the Sony nailed focus and the D750 failed, just like I ran into. 

I am a professional photographer who primarily shoots weddings. I have recently decided to switch to the Sony A7R2 system. I was using two 5D Mark III's and a plethora of L glass. Her are the primary reasons for my switch

1) The weight of the Sony system is fantastic and quite a bit lighter after 10 hours

2) The autofocus system on the Sony trumps the Canon system is just about every way. 399 focus points, eyeball focus, facial recognition

3) The lens choice is quite good now. I will be using the 25 f2 Batis, 35 f1.4 Zeiss, 55 f1.8 Zeiss, 85 f1.8 Batis, and 90mm Macro. Adapter will help me switch to Canon 70-200 2.8 for ceremony, formals, and cocktail hour

4) Love the 43 megapixel quality. Don't tell me it is overkill for a wedding. That is another post entirely

5) Dynamic Ramge

Things that I feel have to improve:

1) Battery life. Really bad... I have it in airplane mode with back screen turned off

2) Need ability to set a medium RAW file size

3) Sony needs a good pro level flash with a battery pack option

Overall, I like the switch. I kept one 5D Mark III for reception work. I am still not sold on the Nissin 700 flash I bought to compliment my two A7R2s.

When a person migrate from one system (Set of Camera and lenses... irrespective of the brands) to other, he/she consider many parameters and so on. When people post their experience some want to help other, some just want to share their happiness, some just share it to express the frustration they face in other set of gears and what made them to migrate on other..... this is a sea of information, people just keep on posting their experience. As a photographer we should act as a diver who is expert in searching a pearl lying on sea bed. I visit SAF (Sony Alpha Forum) site to know about the experience, thought process of enthusiast, hobbyist, professional photographers.... even I learn from budding photographers as well.

I have migrated from Canon, then used Sony SLT system (A99 and A77Mii), before migrating to A7Rii from A99, I took opinion from Gary Friedman (www.friedmanarchives.com/) and referred to Brian Smith blogs and you tube videos. Best was to visit London Camera Exchange store and having have A7Rii in hands, its feeling, testing on some lenses. Gary told me that you have to think about the kind of photography you do using A99 and comparing your existing system with the new one which you find worth to migrate. The biggest challenge with me was limited focus points on A99....., weight and low light performance and quality of images on high ISO. Obviously A99 is much better then A77Mii but I used to feel the issue. For me it was logical decision to migrate, though I was emotionally attached to A99 but I have taken a call and never felt that I did any mistake.

I am using Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 as my primary lens on A7Rii.... one of the best combination (At least for me), image speaks about the combination of Camera and Lens. Batis can go as close as 8" inch near focus and sometimes I feel, If that would have gone even 4" closer I could have got some images like Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 1:1 Wide Angle Macro. I wish Zeiss should do this.....

I plan to buy Sony 90MM Macro 1:1 G OSS in spring when blooming start and I can get great macro shots(I love flowers and bees). Zeiss 100mm f2 Milvus Makro is also on the wish list. I am also waiting for the announcement of Sony Zeiss FE 16-35mm F2.8 and Sony Zeiss FE 24-70 mm F2.8.

Same time, I bought 2 more lenses Zeiss 32MM F1.8 (APSC) and Zeiss 18 MM F2.8.... both has great optical quality, not meant for SonyA7Rii but I use them, its my choice and my odd way of doing thing, with 12MM I get 18MM (APSC - 18 mega pixel) and image size is pretty small. Also, Sensor of Full frame acting as crop sensor for that lens but an odd combination gives great images. No need to crop them in post production. 32MM F1.8 is fabulous.... The only issue with both lenses is the sound which they make while focusing..... its like rubbing knife on sand paper to sharpen it. Not at all useful for video.  

Just two days ago there is reference to use of 150-600MM Tamron lens on Sony A7Rii (Sony Alpha Universe - Brian Smith). I also tried using the same combination on this Saturday (23/01/2016) when I visited Charlecote park near Stratford Upon Avon (UK) to take some photos of Deer and Stags.... I felt disappointed by the combination.... Sony A7rii struggle to focus using Sony AL-EA3 Adaptor.... I had thought process that I will get better results but it hunts for focus even using tripod and held steadily using Gimbal head; I use AL-EA3 adaptor due to the fact that it doesn't have mirror. So, may be I will get better focus due to better F-stop. It doesn't show any advantage even on higher shutter speed. I will post the results soon. If I put this combination on manual focus setting, then results are great but when I do Sports and Wildlife, I expect focusing mechanism taken care by Camera. I prefer manual focus in Macro though.

Sony... may be working on some 80-400 lens for mirror-less and being said so, I think once 6100/7000 is out, a road map will be surely shared with Sony fans. After all APSC is usually preferred for Sports and Wildlife (at least I am on that impression).

Finally a healthy debate brings out a better observations, more thoughts and refinements. I hope we all strive for that.... :)

Keep posting please.

I am a professional photographer who primarily shoots weddings. I have recently decided to switch to the Sony A7R2 system. I was using two 5D Mark III's and a plethora of L glass. Her are the primary reasons for my switch

1) Battery life. Really bad... I have it in airplane mode with back screen turned off

Thanks for that detailed experience. I use the VGC2EM battery grip  http://amzn.com/B00Q5XL7NU which makes it easier to hold with a long lens plus doubles battery capcity. On our documentary work I have eight batteries in the field, or four double-battery changes using the grip. Depending on the event I only have to change once per day, and no more than two.

I've also had good experience using the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II on the A7RII via the MB IV adapter. It works pretty well, although you lose some focus modes including eye AF. The Batis 85mm is really nice, and combined with the cropping afforded by 43 megapixels, you can almost use it like a 135 or 200mm.

When using two cameras I sometimes leave a Sony lens on the A7RII and Canon lens on my 5D3, but it's nice to have the flexibility. The A7RII is almost like having a spare Canon body due to the lens compatibility.