Just purchased A7II, what speed light should I use?

E93

Hello, I just purchased A7II today, my Nikon D800 is in repair due to drop. My question is I have Nikon SB-910, should I purchase a speed light from Sony or just use pocket wizard? Also I what is Sony highest speed light for A7II?

THANKS[emoji12]

Thanks, are there anything I need to do to the camera for it to work? I checked with Sony about using my sb910 and the rep said he won't recommend it. I check online notice sony have top of the line speed light that's HVL-60M but that's few years old and not sure if it will support a7ii.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks, are there anything I need to do to the camera for it to work? I checked with Sony about using my sb910 and the rep said he won't recommend it. I check online notice sony have top of the line speed light that's HVL-60M but that's few years old and not sure if it will support a7ii.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You  can still use your SB-910, but only in manual mode. I just sold my SB900 and wish now that I hadn't. I watched some videos on You Tube by Jason Lanier Photography and he demonstrated using lots of different flash units using his A6000.

Here"s a link. 

Pretty impressive.

I don't bother with dedicated flashes. Just doing what it takes

to use a bunch of old units, and it's really no problem. Since

digital cameras provide an immediate check on results, it's so

easy to be sure that what I'm doing is providing the images I

expect from my input. 

Many today photographers simply do not know how to shoot flash from brand that are not made for their camera.

Some will mostly say, "You can shoot just manually."

You have no problem in shooting with your Nikon SB-910 (or any flash that has ATG Auto2 modes) on Sony A7 II.

You actually can shoot flashes in three modes:

1. ATG Auto2 (this goes back to Vivitar 285HV, Metz 60CT-1/2/4 to 76MZ-5, to Quantum Qflash)

2. Manual power

3. Strobes

Look at the front of your Nikon SB-910, there is a little black hole. That is the ATG Auto2 Sensor.

It was called "ATG uto Aperture Flash Mode" for engineers, then changed to "Auto Aperture Flash Mode" by many companies.

Get your manual out and read about shooting flash in the Auto Modes.

You can use any radio trigger set, but make sure that the shoe is made out plastic.

Place SB-910 in ATG and on receiver. Place transmitter on camera.

This is actually better than shooting TTL.

The example settings:

* Camera ASA/ISO 200

* SB-910 ASA/ISO 200

* Camera set to "M"

* Camera set to flash sync or lower

* SB-910 set to F5.6

* Camera set to F5.6

* If you are shooting wireless radio, make sure flash body face the subject.

You can place the wireless flash up at 100 meter away from camera, but close to subject.

You will get correct ATG's.

You can not do that with TTL flash on camera nor the correct exposure beyond 10 meters with fast flash recycles.

If you still want ATG ADI TTL flashes, then here are your choices:

1.  ATG Gold MG8k Flash Kim X3

2.  ATG Gold Di700A2

3.  ATG Gold Pro II

3.  Metz 64AF-1

4.  Sony HVL-F60M

5.  Sony HVL-F43M (I wouldn't get this if you want to shoot budget wireless ATG ADI TTL)

And for the elites & pros with the power:

A1.  ATG Gold 400WS ADI TTL portable monolight

A2.  ATG Gold 600WS ADI TTL portable monolight

Notes:

All above, except #5, are Commander/Remote flashes.

But only ATG Gold can do ATG ADI TTL wireless radio flashes.

If you want a compact light that just works well out the box then the Nissin i40 is a good option. If size isn't an issue for you then the Phottix Mitros+ or Nissin D700 + Air 1 Commander might not be a bad option for strobists. If you prefer OEM then there are a host of Sony options.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Yongnuo camera-top flashes.  The 500 series is great in manual mode.  No TTL for Sony as yet, I believe.  At $50 they are well built and cheap enough to buy several for my mobile studio.  I also use them with radio remotes, also by Yongnuo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I resume this topic because I have the same question.. I have a new A7 II and need a flash. I would like to know if there is a flash that is controlled by the camera via wireless. I search for this information but can't find an answer. The camera have wireless module, is there a flash (sony, metz, nissin, yongnuo) able to be controlled by the camera wifi without using another flash as master on the hot shoe?

Thank you very much