Which lenses to buy for Sony A6000?

TayTay92

Guest Jaf-Photo

There are two versions of 18-200. I've heard that the older one (silver instead of black, fatter and heavier) has better IQ. Is this right?

Correct, the first version is the one to get. The IQ is a lot better than you would expect from a superzoom lens. It has good sharpness and very little CA across the range. The distortion and vignetting is not obtrusive and you can easily leave them uncorrected, if you want. To add to that, it has nice colours and contrast, a short minimum focus distance (macro) and fine bokeh. I normally don't use superzooms, but the first version of the 18-200 is a gem. I bought mine used because I wasn't really committed to it, but I good a very good copy for about half the price of a new LE version.

Why no love for the 18-105mm OSS?  I bought one for my A6000 and really like it.  It's small enough for a carry-around lens and the 18-105 focal length is adequate for almost anything you might need in street photography.  It gets excellent reviews for sharpness and image quality and competes well with the Zeiss 16-70 at a fraction of the price.