Sunsets in Switzerland

seb

Due to the mountains, we don't get red sunsets on the horizon. Except there are clouds that reflects the light of the sun, that is already behind the earth.

Two weeks ago and yesterday we had an evening like that and I made some shots. I'm not experienced in postprocessing landscape in PS but wanted to try it out with these shots.

What do you think? Too much? Too dark? What can I do better?

Clouds over Üetliberg

20795277634_f631e4f8a6_h.jpgSonnenuntergang überm Üetliberg by seflick, auf Flickr

Sunset over Zürich

21230969020_00a2624bea_h.jpgSonnenuntergang by seflick, auf Flickr

Train into the Night

21228842469_b51b2ec239_h.jpgMittelland by seflick, auf Flickr

Thanks miran. I see it the same, may you explain me why the foreground is "bad"?

It's one of my first attempts to landscape and I'm really glad to hear some criticism.

I tried to stay realistic with the darkness of the foreground to the brightness of the sky. But maybe I have to break that, but I don't know a good way.

there's a lot you should take into consideration apart from the foreground. e.g.:

use a tripod and close the aperture to 11F in Pct Nr1: sunstar.

use lower iso or different camera in pict Nr2: too much grain on that one: lack of sharpness

crop blue sky on pict Nr 3: would make sunset more interesting

overall: too little contrast,not enough sharpness  improve lightroom skills, buy tripod

Photo #1:  Clouds are beautiful!  Your composition could be better by lowering the camera so that maybe 1/3 is mountains and 2/3 clouds.  Then do two graduated filters in Lightroom/Photoshop.  On the top make it a little darker.  On the bottom do it lighter.  Use virtual copies and experiment with different graduated filters to see what works best.

Photo #2:  Much better composition.  The small road acts as a leading line into the photo and draws the eyes into the center.  Very effective technique.  As in Photo #1, you could use a darker graduated filter on the top and a second lighter graduated filter on the bottom.

Photo #3:  The sky is a nice blue, but shows too much.  Since the train is the focus of the photo, it would be better to "anchor" it using the rule of thirds.  If possible the train track could act as a leading line to the train.  As in the first two photos, the sky could be darker and the ground (foreground) be lighter.

Go to this free website and view some of his free videos:

http://photoserge.com/tutorials

He is a Frenchman living in Paris and most of his work is in Paris.  But I have learned a lot watching his videos.  He has had one or two new ones each week.  Most topics are on Lightroom but some in Photoshop.  I have even purchased a few of his training classes.  They are worth the money.  He puts them on sale frequently so do not pay full price.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is my 5-minute edit in Lightroom of the original photo #2:

Silhouetting the foreground can also work, like in the first shot, especially when the foreground is boring and the horizon has some interest (in that case the outline of the alps). But in each case it looks a little dull, a bit on the brightness might also help (not exposure).

Here is my 5 minute edit   :D   Curves (to darken the foreground), +11 brightness, +3 contrast, +1 saturation, +16 clarity.

Thank you so much guys! I really like critic. It helps a lot, to get new ideas and better technics!

@A850:

You're so true about the tripod. I was on the way home and didn't had time to go home for it.

The first was a panorama out of camera (wanted just to try this function). I'm not so satisfied of the result, because there is to much cooking if you go on 100%.

The 2nd has a meh foreground. It is ISO 100, but maybe too much "luminosity mask" cooking in the foreground. Someone else said: If I have such a foreground I would not make the picture.

The 3rd has a "boring" sky. But your idea is good. I'll try that!

@steve of stonehedge:

I agree with you on the first. tried it several times to get more hills on it. But the angle was quite bad and the city and some trees are coming close to fast. so I took the one where the hills are only a thin line. All others didnt worked. I need a better spot! :)

photo #2: good the road did his part. It's thing only thing besides the poplar that I like on the foreground. I made a version with brighter foreground and some darkening for drama (almost like yours but in PS with better masks, but also with 15min work. :) ). But then still the houses, the fence and a lot other destroys the picture. Tomorrow evening I'm at home so I'll post it to compare.

3rd: Yepp, I'll try that crop with the rule of thirds (as already said to A850) and the shift in luminosity. I'll post that too!

@timde:

as I wrote to the others, the foreground destroys the whole sky. maybe your approach is the one that works. I'll try that too.

Thank you all!

@Jeffmurry + @a_pavlin: thx :)

I really like that tree ... in my walks I also have one that for a long time I could not figure out how to photograph until recently, in case that gives you and idea the link is here: https://500px.com/photo/121279593/lone-oak-by-tim-?from=user_library

Actually, in this following picture you can see one distinct tree, which is the same tree from the previous photo ... but this time playing with longer exposures

https://500px.com/photo/119728639/one-tree-by-tim-?from=user_library

That tree really brings a sense of movement.

I really like that tree ... in my walks I also have one that for a long time I could not figure out how to photograph until recently, in case that gives you and idea the link is here: https://500px.com/photo/121279593/lone-oak-by-tim-?from=user_library

Actually, in this following picture you can see one distinct tree, which is the same tree from the previous photo ... but this time playing with longer exposures

https://500px.com/photo/119728639/one-tree-by-tim-?from=user_library

That tree really brings a sense of movement.

Thanks, I was thinking about coming back once in the future with a tripod to reshoot this with a low shutterspeed and higher f-stop. the tree is moving quite strong, so it may get an intresting picture.

this oak on your pictures lives on a nice place. :)

Thats a shot with lots of potential! Here is my 5 minute effort ... I really like the interplay between the clouds, mountains and city.

Thats a shot with lots of potential! Here is my 5 minute effort ... I really like the interplay between the clouds, mountains and city.

Too much color overprocessing for me. But I took some other suggestions like the crop, some more saturation and the better light on the city with me.

Thank you very much for your critics and editing!

Here's the result:

21722272239_bc83e0cbcb_h.jpg_DSC2275 by seflick, auf Flickr