A7RII - Can't see or change aperture

Daxle

So I'm kinda stumped and have made an account here because I'm out of ideas.

I have a friend with an A7Rii and a Sony FE 28mm f2 who wanted to capture footage into OBS.

So I'm helping him over a call, and the HDMI feed is all good, but no matter whether the camera is in stills or movie mode, no matter whether it's in aperture priority or full manual, the lens aperture refuses to either display or change. Shutter speed and ISO change fine, but the f-stop just displays as  (f - -) and flashes orange whenever he tries to change it with the front dial.

Am I missing something? Is there some setting that I've overlooked? Could the body or lens be faulty? It has me absolutely stumped.

(It's a new cam and lens btw, not second-hand or anything)

I agree with SnappyMilt. With that I'm mind I suggest a simple physical check:

- Is the lens securely locked in place? Moisture and dust resistant lenses such as the FE 28mm f2 have a small rubber gasket along the rear mating surface that requires higher effort to rotate and lock into place. Weird stuff happens otherwise... as has happened to me with my a7rIII and16-35 GM lens.

- Are the electrical contacts on the camera body and lens clean and physically undamaged? It doesn't take visible smudges of finger oil or such to cause communication problems between the camera and lens. Again personal experience.

Of course the lens could be faulty, which could be tested by mounting it on another similar camera to test.

Wish I could be of more help.