Sign in to follow this  
chardinej

High-ISO and the a9

Set the a9 to Auto-ISO today just to try it out. I was photographing active subjects (small birds) and the light-level was so-so. Set the exposure mode to M and dialled in 1/1000s at f9- I had the 1.4tc on the Sony 100-400. This is the result. A beautiful female Red-breasted Nuthatch at ISO 25,600! I performed a little NR on the background in Lightroom but nothing special with the processing. Hope you like it.

20181104_150739_RBNU_1330.jpg

When dealing with active subjects, the only way to stop their action is to use a fast shutter speed. Why not use the ISO to get you where you want to be? The a9 allows this. I have the a7RIII too and it does not perform as well as the a9 in this regard.

The first time I shot at high ISO (3200) in bright daylight was unintentional, on January 1st, when I had forgotten to set ISO back to normal after trying some fireworks shots the night before. Once I've had such a lucky shot, I became more relaxed about playing with higher ISO values. Now I have the ISO mostly set to "Auto", because I "trust" the camera in this regard.