How do I close the shutter? I just got the camera

wm17959

I am at the beginning stages of setting up the Sony A7iii and I noticed that the shutter is open. I would like to know how to close the shutter before I install the lens. This must be possible as the shutter would get dirty very quickly if it is always open. Please advise, thanks.

Edited by wm17959

Thanks adwb. It's unfortunate that a camera of this price range does not have the option to close the shutter when changing lenses. Since it's a mirrorless camera with silent shooting option, I'm not sure why there is a shutter in there at all.

If you're adventuresome and like living on the photographic edge... Do a 6 second 'bulb' exposure and change lens when shutter is down. Ten seconds if age or coordination is a factor. But let an errant finger poke, dislodge, or deform that delicacy and there'll be whole world of fresh Hell you'll have to deal with.

Even using 'proper' skill and technique I'm amazed how easy it is for the sensor to collect gremlins. I suspect with the shutter closed stuff will still get into the leaves or cavity irrespective how diligent one is in the process. I get things so stubborn air will not dislodge them and resort to a wet cleaning. Such is life.

Edited by VTC