Batis 25mm f/2 vs Sony GM 24mm f/1.4

I see many people out there (myself included) have been anxiously awaiting a comparison between these two lenses. Well today on the back pages of Google I stumped upon this comparison between these two lenses. I found it interesting and thought a few of you might as well. ***Disclaimer*** the review is in chinese text, you will have to use a translator app to view in English.

http://immian.com/sony24gm-vs-batis25/

For what it's worth, and I've never used the Batis, but I've been loving the 24. Here's a few shots from my limited experience thus far...Incredible sharp wide open with lovely bokeh. You'll see a close-up of water on a watch face with the full shot as well for reference.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

13 hours ago, GhostWalker said:

Thanks for the review link.

I have the Batis 25 presently, and it's a great lens, but I must say I've been very impressed with what I've seen online so far from the 24mm GM.

It has me thinking...  : )

I too have the Batis 25 and it is a fantastic lens. When the 24mm GM hit the streets, I knew I'd be better served with that lens for my travel photography. I was on the fence if I should sell my Batis or keep it. The other night I was on B&H and for a very short while and they had the GM in stock. ? Naturally I took this as a sign from god and snatched it up. Pretty excited to see what photos I can make with this new lens.

45 minutes ago, Rogue_odyssey said:

I too have the Batis 25 and it is a fantastic lens. When the 24mm GM hit the streets, I knew I'd be better served with that lens for my travel photography. I was on the fence if I should sell my Batis or keep it. The other night I was on B&H and for a very short while and they had the GM in stock. ? Naturally I took this as a sign from god and snatched it up. Pretty excited to see what photos I can make with this new lens.

Cool - and congrats on your new lens acquisition!

Looking forward to hearing how you like it once you've had some hands-in time with it!!

On 10/30/2018 at 11:35 PM, thefsb said:

I can vouch for the TT350S being a nice size and performing as well as you can expect for a 3V unit. Decent UI too.

I honestly don't know about the extra value of more expensive flash. I find manual exposure easiest when using flash so I think the best value is in the full-size manual category e.g. YN560.

On 10/31/2018 at 3:50 AM, serdor said:

Hello

I have the Neewer NW400S which has a guide number of 36 to 100 ISO.
It is excellent for interiors, you can use it, front or back from the ceiling, or by turning it to the side.
Lightweight and small enough, I find it ideal to take on a trip.
I think the Godox you mentioned in your message is more or less the same product.
I recommend it if you do not have professional pretensions and you want a better flash than those that are usually mounted on cameras.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:41 PM, thefsb said:

@Rogue_odyssey There is no discernible method. Unless Sony announces something, your guess is as good as any.

What primes do you have so far? And what, in terms of pictures, do you need to accomplish that they cannot support?

On 11/3/2018 at 12:38 AM, GhostWalker said:

In the echo chamber of the internet, claims such as the one about copy variation of the Distagon 35mm seem to get blown out of all proportion. Everyone I know who owns one got a stellar copy on their first try, as did I. Not saying that all copies are good, but the 'problem' ones may not be nearly as prevalent as it may seem reading alarmist blather online.

My advice your be to buy from a reputable seller with a return policy. That way, in the unlikely event that something is amiss, you'll be able to have the issue addressed.

Meanwhile, it's certainly not out of the question that Sony will release additional 35mm lenses, possibly including a GM. Their focus has been on focal lengths that could be regarded as 'gaps' in the lineup, so it's unsurprising that 35mm (for which there are several options already) has not been a priority to date.

Personally I love the Distagon 35. It was one of the first FE lenses I bought, and it's still a favourite, not just for its IQ, but also for its 'magical' rendering. Not sure if I'd trade it for a GM (though the GM lenses I have to date are also pretty special...). 

On 11/3/2018 at 1:27 AM, pixtaker said:

I have both the TT350S and the V350S.  The batteries don't last in the TT350S and TheV350 lasts for a very long time so, I would recommend the V350S.  In every other way they are the same flash but the V350S Lion battery is better, cycles faster, and last longer.  Get the V350 unless you like throwing money away buying batteries and waiting between flashes for the flash charge to build up.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:40 AM, photome09 said:

The tt350s is great for travel. I have been using this since even with other brands. The only thing I don't like with it is the bounce diffuser it came with it is too loose, maybe my unit is not as tight as it should be. In short, I lost this and the it took a while before I can get a replacement from the Canadian distributor. There is one in Adorama for U.S$9.99

https://www.adorama.com/fplfxp0018.html

but the shipping cost is triple the price of the unit. So I waited for almost a month for the Canadian distributor to get their supply. Moral of the story, don't loose your bounce diffuser.

The Canadian distributor cost with shipping by the way was Cnd $27 for 2 pieces.

On 11/3/2018 at 11:41 AM, pixtaker said:

V350s has a rechargable Lion battery and comes with a charger.

19 hours ago, bbphoto said:

For what it's worth, and I've never used the Batis, but I've been loving the 24. Here's a few shots from my limited experience thus far...Incredible sharp wide open with lovely bokeh. You'll see a close-up of water on a watch face with the full shot as well for reference.

3 hours ago, GhostWalker said:

Cool - and congrats on your new lens acquisition!

Looking forward to hearing how you like it once you've had some hands-in time with it!!

Thanks...I'm really looking forward to this one. I'll post my opinions about the lens once I get a good feel for it.