Sony A7 vs A7s

BenKerr

Hi, I am a new member here and new to Sony and have been looking to pickup a 2nd hand full frame body - either the a7 or a7s. I've been told that the a7s is better in low light, while the a7 has higher resolution. I would be using the camera for 75% stills and 25% video and I'm not sure which way to go. I won't be printing super large prints and most of my stills will be produced for social media and my website portfolio. I like the idea of better low light and am leaning towards the a7s. Is there someone here who as owned both who could give an opinion on which body would be the one to go for. Regarding budget, I've been offered both bodies from a work colleague at the same price - $650 AUD. I don't have the budget to move up the line to the a7sII or a7II at this stage, so those are not options. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... 

Cheers, Ben

Hello

I had the A7, it's a great camera for photography, I could not tell you how it behaves in the video.
The quality of autofocus is certainly not at the level of those today but, again, for non-dynamic photography is fine.
I did not have the A7S, so I would not know.

There are lots of reviews out there..... If I were you I would at least go for the second generation of the A7 series. The first generation of these cameras has poor ergonomics and the flange where you mount the lenses on is weak, so much so that there are aftermarket flanges to replace the original one. I had the A7ii, and found that rather noisy at higher iso ( low light). I now have the A7Riii, which also produces noisy pictures over iso 1600-2000. Since I do a lot of birding from a hide-out in a forest ( always dark) I am definitely considering an A7Sii as a second body, but will wait a while until the A7Siii comes out. Prices of second hand A7Sii will definitely drop then.

I had the A7ii, and traded it in for an A7Rii.  Huge improvement in pixels, and low light.  

I later added the A7S, and it is sooo much better in low light, both photos and video.  

You'll see from my gallery that I mostly shoot in the dark. 

12MP is plenty for social media use, you just have to compose correctly, where with a very high MP camera you can shoot wide, and compose in post.

JCC

I currently shoot A9 and A6500 but I've owned both the A7 and A7S. I found the A7 a joy to shoot with. There's something special about the weight/feel of that camera. It's great for general photography of stationary or slow moving subjects in good light. The A7S produces beautiful images but they cannot be cropped as much as the A7. However the A7S is a much better video camera especially in low light! It produces clean 1080P but if you need 4K you'll have to use an external recorder.