FF lens on asp-c?

Johnhoward28

11 hours ago, Johnhoward28 said:

I am just curious.  Can you use a lens designed for the FF A7 camera on a a6000?

Not only yes, many people do to get a smaller field of view.  A 50mm full frame lens becomes the "equivalent" of approx. 75mm because the smaller camera sensor is not using the periphery of the lens' projected image.  Really the only down side of using full frame lenses is they are more expensive, larger, heavier.

If you only ever had an APS-C camera all this equivalency doesn't make sense. You only know the APS-C equivalent field of view of a given focal length. Tinplater may cause the confusion that - when used on an a6000 - a 50 mm lens designed for fullframe gives a different field of view than a 50 mm lens for APS-C. To straighten things up: it doesn't.

20 hours ago, Pieter said:

If you only ever had an APS-C camera all this equivalency doesn't make sense. You only know the APS-C equivalent field of view of a given focal length. Tinplater may cause the confusion that - when used on an a6000 - a 50 mm lens designed for fullframe gives a different field of view than a 50 mm lens for APS-C. To straighten things up: it doesn't.

Thanks Pieter for clarifying my statement.  Yes 50mm is 50mm focal length regardless of full frame or APS-C.  As I pointed out the main differences are cost, size, weight and full frame lenses tend to be of better optical quality.  But they can make sense to a cropped sensor user if full frame body lies ahead in the future.