DavidR

A6500, how to swap functions between Control Wheel and Control Dial

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a street photographer and want to have the Control Wheel programed to change the shutter speed and the control dial to set the aperture sometimes.  I have read several manuals and can't find the instructions only the reference that it can be done.  Anyone know how to do it?

3 hours ago, DavidR said:

I am a street photographer and want to have the Control Wheel programed to change the shutter speed and the control dial to set the aperture sometimes.  I have read several manuals and can't find the instructions only the reference that it can be done.  Anyone know how to do it?

Yes...go to menu, camera 2 page 8.  You will find dial/wheel Setup.  This will allow you to do what you want, (I think).  But I believe only works in manual mode.  Doing this from memory so might be wrong.

Edited by tinplater

Thank you tinplater, I had found this and the problem is that the book I have, David Bush's Sony a6500/ILCE 6500 suggests that the control wheel and the control dial functions for f stop and shutter speed can be swapped.  When I set the dial/wheel to control the shutter speed then there seems to be no way to control f/stop under Manual shooting.  Perhaps I am just a techno idiot and am missing something but I have looked and looked at several sites and books.  When shooting fast it is difficult for me (I am old and have a tremor) work the shutter speed with the control dial.  I often press it and get things I don't want.  Thank you for you help.  Dave