A7R3, Eye AF and AF-C... winning combo?

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback from people using the following combination:

A7R3

AF-C

Eye AF

Any Sony native lens (I've use the 24-70mm kits lens and the 70-200mm f2.8 GM)

I've read online, almost unanimously, everyone says to pair Eye AF with AF-C, not AF-S, due to the camera's spectacular auto focus system and their phase detect working almost as well as their contrast detect. Literally almost every professional recommends to use Eye AF this way.

What I'm finding is that the focus is constantly hunting, albeit, slightly (I hear the motor on the lens working). The focus goes in and out, almost in a perfect rhythm, if I have the drive motor on high + and just spray off a few shots in these setting, I'll notice that almost exactly half of my photos are in focus.

I've done a bit of research and read to use the Lock-on AF spot and even with this, I'm getting the same results.

Is it normal for the focus system to be hunting this much? I thought maybe it was the crappy kit lens but then when I bought the 70-200 GM, I was disappointed to see the same results.

Do you guys think this may be a firmware update issue? I haven't updated firmware on anything since I bought it.

Appreciate any help/feedback, thank you! 

I Get virtually little if any hunting using eye af and Sony native lenses..I generally use "wide" AF area, face recognition on,  continuous, and multiple exposures per second drive on my A7III.  Be sure shutter speed is fast if your subject is moving.  Hunting will be very dependent upon lighting conditions too.  And I also have to remind myself to be rock steady with the camera.

Edited by tinplater