Will Sony bring out a 35mm GM?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site...I searched for this topic but didn't find the information I'm looking for. I own a Sony A7iii and I have a number of primes already. I'm wanting to purchase a 35mm F1.4 and the Zeiss Distagon looks to be a good option. I'm not sure if there is a method to Sony's madness as far as what primes they will choose to release as a Master G lens. Maybe someone here has some insight if they will ever release a 35mm GM. If that's the case I'd be willing to wait until it's release. I've also heard on another forum that Sony won't release the same lens twice. Not sure what to do, can anyone give some advice please? Thanks 

11 hours ago, JCC said:

Sony did release the 85GM after the Batis 85, and they later released their own 85mm non GM, so it is possible,but the Zeiss 35 1.4 is exceptional, and you won't go wrong with it.

JCC

Good points, at first I was excited about the distagon because I heard some great things about it. Then i heard about lots of copy variations and that has made me hesitate to go buy one. That's the reason I'm interested in a GM 35mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would like a 28 GM.  The non-GM version just leaves a lot to be desired.   I know, it's too close to 24 GM just announced.  One can always dream.  It's just that 28mm is my favorite FL.  

Besides, we already have an excellent Zeiss 35 1.4, as already mentioned here.

Edited by p360
add

I have an old series I Canon EF 35mm f/1.4. It is my favorite for evenings in available light. For the time being, I do not have an adapter, though a Sigma is supposed to arrive soon. Also, I ordered a Samyang 35mm f/2.8 for my Sony 7DIII. They say it is sharp and compact (something I am not) and good value. We'll see about it. What bugs me with the f/1.4 lenses is their bulk and price.  I would have wanted an f/2 but the Samyang is only 1 stop away, which is not bad if it allows shooting wide open.

As an old Canon user, I  am impressed by the usability of the 7DIII.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:33 AM, Rogue_odyssey said:

Good points, at first I was excited about the distagon because I heard some great things about it. Then i heard about lots of copy variations and that has made me hesitate to go buy one. That's the reason I'm interested in a GM 35mm.

In the echo chamber of the internet, claims such as the one about copy variation of the Distagon 35mm seem to get blown out of all proportion. Everyone I know who owns one got a stellar copy on their first try, as did I. Not saying that all copies are good, but the 'problem' ones may not be nearly as prevalent as it may seem reading alarmist blather online.

My advice your be to buy from a reputable seller with a return policy. That way, in the unlikely event that something is amiss, you'll be able to have the issue addressed.

Meanwhile, it's certainly not out of the question that Sony will release additional 35mm lenses, possibly including a GM. Their focus has been on focal lengths that could be regarded as 'gaps' in the lineup, so it's unsurprising that 35mm (for which there are several options already) has not been a priority to date.

Personally I love the Distagon 35. It was one of the first FE lenses I bought, and it's still a favourite, not just for its IQ, but also for its 'magical' rendering. Not sure if I'd trade it for a GM (though the GM lenses I have to date are also pretty special...). 

Thanks for that write up, I am strongly considering the Distagon. Right now I work overseas, when I'm back in the states for a while I think I'll go ahead and order one from B&H. If I get unlucky and get a bad copy I shouldn't have an issue returning the lens to them. From the group pics I've seen on Flickr it does indeed seem to be something special.