Sign in to follow this  
rushabpmore

HDR and DRO, when to use them?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

I am pretty new to photography, and even though I read the manuals and some info on google I still dont really get when should I use HDR or DRO.

Is any of the two better than the other?

Should I use them all the time? Or I should turn them off completely?

When should I use them and what lvl. is recommended?

On 10/9/2018 at 10:15 PM, rushabpmore said:

Hi!

I am pretty new to photography, and even though I read the manuals and some info on google I still dont really get when should I use HDR or DRO.

Is any of the two better than the other?

Should I use them all the time? Or I should turn them off completely?Akinator Xender Kik

When should I use them and what lvl. is recommended?

any updates?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144978190@N06/45618822522/in/album-72157702936281124/

I took a couple photos with and without HDR (see link). Camera is an HX-90V. HDR and was in manual mode, probably set to HDR level 4 (I don't remember exactly, and the EXIF data don't mention the setting).

Photos were taken while standing in the middle of the street, at Avenue de La Motte-Picquet and Boulevard de Grenelle in Paris, this past October 10, around 10:50 am (photoephemeris.com/ will provide sun direction data).

I think that HDR can be pretty useful in circumstances like these, i.e. unequal lighting.

Even though the Bouquet de Grenelle bar was more or less in full sun, using HDR improved the photo significantly, with a much better color rendition of the building color, in particular.

@Raz  I agree. HDR is a useful technique. I just don't use it. I don't use a lot of stuff.

HDR is much more important on small-sensor camera like the HX-90V than on mine. I don't think the scene in your example would demand HDR when using a FF camera.