Eye-AF for Indoor Sports?

N4865G

I am trying to shoot indoor volleyball with A7III and 24-105 f4 lens.

I tried different focus modes and most of them produce mediocre results. The best hit rate, however, came up with Expanded Flexible Spot.

One YT volleyball video photographer claims the Lock-ON centre spot should work best.

I was wondering if any of you tried Eye-AF functionality with volleyball or any other indoor sport.

In theory, this should be the best mode to shoot with being close to the sidelines as the Eye-AF works successfully at quite a distance. Then again, perhaps the light available would not allow for that.

I would appreciate any experience you might have had.

Thanks

Dom

Try it. Assign Eye AF to the button on your lens. I kinda doubt Eye AF will work well for tracking, which is what I'd be looking to use in your position. I also wonder if Eye AF is really critical for F4 at 105mm. DoF should be big enough for Face Priority to suffice.

Shooting dogs that run around very fast and erratically is different but related. I use 7RM3 and 70-300. I usually use

• Lock-on
  • Expand flexible spot
  • AF Area Regist. to switch between Expand flexible spot and Wide with Custom key C3
  • AF Track Sens = 1
  • Priority Set in AF-C = AF

And add Set Face Prty. in AF to that for your sport. See how it goes. When I started using these settings I was really pleased with the results. Mark Galen on YouTube has excellent tutorials on how to use the camera's AF.