brthegreat117

Macro Lens Options for A7 III?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the world of legacy lenses. 

Modern lenses are a bit out of my price range at the moment, so I'm looking into the legacy lens market for some nice lenses. 

I currently own a Sony A7 III with a Sony Sonnar Zeiss 55 1.8. The lens is great, but the focusing distance isn't that great. 

I shoot a lot of action figures, and like a macro lens for still photography. 

Any recommendations as to what I should be looking for? 

Lots of vintage macro lenses to choose from...since autofocus is not needed, I would suggest you look at the Canon  50mm 2.5.  You will need a Canon to Sony E converter (about $10).  I have this little macro and it is impressively sharp.  Around $150 used.

Tokina 90mm f2.5 ATX Macro

I bought this lens in 1986 in OM mount for my Olympus OM 1  bought it with the 1:1 extender and it did come with a great leather case (which I still have) I will never sell this great optic. 

I use it now on my A7Riii with great results. The only drawback is some CA in extreme contrast in the far corners.

Check eBay, KnH or B and H for current prices. I think it retails for $400-$500 without 1:1 optical extender. $600-$800 complete with case.

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokina-90mm-f25-at-x-macro-bokina.html?m=1

Having an expensive camera with such a good sensor and then using vintage glass is a charming in theory but may leave you dissatisfied in terms of image quality. Vintage glass was designed for film, after all. 

Choice will also depend on what kind of macro. Stills or jumpy insects; Also - really macro (>1:1 or just close up 1:5 to 1:2 range...) For casual macro:

Option 1: Buy a 25mm extension tube and use your current 50mm with it.

Option 2: Exchange your Zeiss 50mm for a Canon EF 50 or Nikon 60mm modern macro lenses + latest Metabones or TechArt adapter. Both are adequately fast and will double as a normal lens just as well. Or buy the Sigma/Tamron in Sony mount to get better AF speeds than with adapter.

Option 3: For physically close up photography, try a Canon EF 28mm f2.8 + 12mm extension tube + adapter. For stills and flowers where some distortion in perspective is acceptable, you won't complain...! See photos for this option. The butterfly and dragonfly shot with a Canon 5D Mk II using a 28mm/f2.8 IS lens+ 12mm extension tube. You can expect similar results with a Sony FF body. 

By the way these are low res images I've uploaded.... about 200-300kb. The original 25-30mb hi res pictures are really sharp. Full frame, uncropped, hand held, AF & IS on. One can't ask for more!!

There are lots of excellent macros around:

- Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 Macro, in Adaptall-2 mount, extremely sharp

- SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro

- Minolta MD Rokkor 100mm F3.5 Macro

All superb and cheap.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Lajoiephoto
      I own a 7rii and gave been trying to scour my manual and the internet to explain on icon I see on my full display monitor screen.  It is a small, thick-walled, grey circle with the letters AC next to it.  I cannot for the life of me find an explanation in any of the documentation.  I have the monitor, viewfinder set for automatic.  This icon appears for a short time and then disappears.  If I shift from viewfinder back to monitor, it comes back.  If anyone can tell me what this is, I’ll sleep better for the knowing.  
    • By WoyBoy
      Help! I have an A7 and an A6000. I cleaned the sensor on both today using the VSGO kit. When I was finished I tried to turn them on. The A7 was completely dead. Changed battery, Dead. Same again with the third battery. I would expect these would all be 70 to 90% at this point. I tried the A6000 with a fourth battery (already in the A6000) and it worked. I moved that battery to the A7, dead. Put it back in the A6000, dead. Removed the last strands of hair from my head. I put the battery that had worked, back in the A6000. Dead. I swapped lenses on the A6000 and turned it back on. Worked. Put that battery in the A7, dead. It appears the A7 is fooling the battery into not working. Any ideas would be very gratefully received  Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. :)

• By reynante
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.

Visit my IG for behind-the-scenes and more info: https://www.instagram.com/reynantem/   We can wish, hope, and dream all we want. But unless we’re able to wake up and act, nothing will come true.   I'd love to hear what you think about this.
    • By reynante
      Hi, everyone. So glad to be on this forum. This is my first post here.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Visit my IG for behind-the-scenes and more info: https://www.instagram.com/reynantem/
      Sometimes, it helps to just slow down and appreciate what we have in life, without asking for anything more in excess. There have been a lot of moments in my life where I wanted more from everything that I forgot how beautiful and magical it was that I already had.
      Have you had this experience too?
      Shot with a Sony a7ii + Sony FE 90mm Macro G OSS @ 1/250 sec., f/8, and ISO-100.
    • By Satman_1234
      Hopefully, when released these will be easier to get then the 400mm f/2.8 GM. 
      Not likely to be announced during the 2019 NABShow although, SONY is making an announcement today at 2:oo pm PST
      From Alpha Rumors
      https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-patent-discloses-500-f-4-and-600-f-4-e-mount-lens-design/