GAS attack - the prime set (in addition to 24-105)

N4865G

Good day to you,

Ever since I got my hands on the fantastic A7III (having moved from Fuji XT2) I was nothing but amazed with the quality of the pictures I have been getting with it.

My primary lens is the excellent 24-105 zoom. 

I am now suffering from GAS attack thinking about adding some primes to it in order to expand my low light photo results and lessen the weight of the set.

I mainly use my camera for:

- shooting indoor volleyball of my sons (low light, fast action) - standing literally by the sidelines of the court - I am thinking either Zeiss 55mm f1.8, or 85mm f1.8 here, those few extra steps should get me in the more comfortable ISO area...

- shooting high DR inflight pictures in the aircraft cockpit, both daylight and nighttime (sunsets, thunderstorms, dramatic looking clouds, etc.) - possibly 28mm f2 plus one of the above mentioned tele primes,

- family pictures (casual portrait shots of my relatives and our beloved cat),

- travel pictures (use all my flying layovers around the world  - primarily architectural plus some street pictures).

- last, but not least I recently got attracted to macro photography, would be willing to expand this technique further. For this purpose, however, I started using my other lens, the 70-300 and I have been getting reasonable results.

I used my 24-105 selectively over the last several weeks setting its focal length at 28, 35, 55 and 85mm just to check if those focal lengths would fit my shooting style and all except 35mm fit the bill. There is something about the 35m which does not tick the box for me.

I noticed I am more inclined to shooting at more compressed FOV with 55mm and 85mm being the primary choice. 

I would be grateful for your comments based on personal experience of adding primes to the 24-105 which in fact covers all those focal lengths already.

Beside the obvious convenience of carrying less weight would my photography benefit from the added lens speed, sharpness and finally something more intangible - the character?

Thank you very much in advance,

Dom

Hello, 

I have an A7iii with a 24-105 like you; I bought with it a 16-35 f4 for churches, castles and museums that is wherever is space is limited.

As primes I have a FE 28f2 and a 90f2.8 macro. I like them both. I use the 28 mainly where there’s low Light and the macro for insects, of course and, portraits too. 

Now I am thinking about buying the 55 f1.8 for full body portraits and low light shots but I’d also like to get a wider prime for landscapes and astro shots. I am considering the Zeiss Loxia 21 f2.8 and the next coming Sony 24 f1.4. 

I’m aware there are lenses by other manufacturers but native ones like Sony and Zeiss are smaller and lighter.

This is only my opinion which differs form anyone else’s because of my kind of shooting. 

I wish I could afford a Sony 12-24 f4, if only because sometimes in internals I find myself a bit narrow with the 16-35.

I have the same thing you do, a7 III and the 24-105 f/4 which is a solid walk around. I wanted a few fast primes as I as well do weddings. I really studied the pros and cons of all the lenses.

I bought the Sony/Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 and the Sony 85mm f/1.8

Both of those lenses are very solid choices, the only other prime I considered was the Zeiss 25mm f/2/0

The 28mm f/2 has considerable barrel distortion though it is a very sharp lens and the price is nice.

Until my recent retirement, I shot sports for small school using Canon 1DX (full frame) and my primary indoor sports lens was 85mm f/1.8.  I began my switch to Sony (A7riii & A6500) w/in last couple of years and tested the 55mm on the crop a6500 and the 85mm on the full frame A7riii.  I would recommend going to gym to a practice and take some shots with the 24-105 at 55 & 85 to see what field of view suits your taste before deciding on 55 or 85.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:47 PM, Slburns said:

Until my recent retirement, I shot sports for small school using Canon 1DX (full frame) and my primary indoor sports lens was 85mm f/1.8.  I began my switch to Sony (A7riii & A6500) w/in last couple of years and tested the 55mm on the crop a6500 and the 85mm on the full frame A7riii.  I would recommend going to gym to a practice and take some shots with the 24-105 at 55 & 85 to see what field of view suits your taste before deciding on 55 or 85.

Thanks, in fact I tend to be shooting at all those focal lengths to get different perspectives. I will get all three. Thank you all very much again,

Dom