Looking for a portrait lens

jimmy986

I switched form Fuji about 6 months ago and I’m building my lens kit. So far, I have a 16-35 GM, 55 1.8, Samyang 35mm, and the 100-400. I am looking to get into more portraiture work. Specifically, I also want to work on animal portraiture. There is a local animal group that is looking for someone to photograph their animals that need homes and I have supported these groups personally and thought this would be a good way to work on my animal skills and possible create a portfolio of animal portraiture as my area does not have many photographer that do that and there is definitely room for that work. The question is, based on what I have, what would be a good lens to add? I have been looking at the 24-70 as it would compliment my 16-35 for travel as well. But I know that would be on the short end for portraits. Would an 85mm be good for both human and animal portraiture? I obviously would need something relatively fast focusing for animals but it’s helpful for people as well. All opinions welcome. 

The 55mm is a 1.8 not a 1.4.

But in terms of the 85mm, is there much reason to go up to 85mm 1.4 GM over the 85mm 1.8? I know you are getting al title faster lens but in terms of results is it worth the price difference. I typically buy used lenses and since I am not on a time crunch I can wait and find it for a good deal. I can spend the money so if it is worth it I would get it. In terms of travel photography, would many people travel with an 85mm prime or do most people leave the primes at home and take the zooms for wi=eight and space restrictions?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, martti_s said:

Anybody shooting portraits with the 90mm macro?
That's what I am eyeing right now.

It does well for portraits, some might say too sharp!  But it is one of my favorite lenses, stellar as a macro lens so you can have superb macro shots, and nice portraits too.  But I wouldn't purchase it just to be used as a portrait lens.  The 85mm 1.8 fills that role nicely but not anything close to macro capabilities.

5 hours ago, martti_s said:

I do not have a macro lens...I do not understand how too sharp can be a problem. You can add selective Gaussian blur in PP if buttons and pores stand out too much.
How do you find the focusing? Some macros are slo-o-o-ow.

Sharpness can be a matter of taste...of course you can blur, diminish clarity in post processing.  For portraits the biggest drawback is it is 2.8 so you don't get quite the subject isolation you can with a faster lens.  As to focusing, it is virtually silent and almost instantaneous over most of the range.  However when you get into really close up, it can hunt and be slightly noisy (you are moving a lot of glass).  The lens allows you to limit the focusing range.  Of course many macro subjects are shot with manual focus.  But it is one of my all time favorite lenses.  Here is an example of a shot I took when a grasshopper joined me on our patio couch and I just happened to have camera/macro at hand.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

5 hours ago, martti_s said:

I do not have a macro lens...I do not understand how too sharp can be a problem. You can add selective Gaussian blur in PP if buttons and pores stand out too much.
How do you find the focusing? Some macros are slo-o-o-ow.

I haven't used the 90mm macro for portraits but did find this snapshot using the lens with my dog as the subject...

On 10/22/2018 at 6:17 PM, tinplater said:

Sharpness can be a matter of taste...of course you can blur, diminish clarity in post processing.  For portraits the biggest drawback is it is 2.8 so you don't get quite the subject isolation you can with a faster lens.  As to focusing, it is virtually silent and almost instantaneous over most of the range.  However when you get into really close up, it can hunt and be slightly noisy (you are moving a lot of glass).  The lens allows you to limit the focusing range.  Of course many macro subjects are shot with manual focus.  But it is one of my all time favorite lenses.  Here is an example of a shot I took when a grasshopper joined me on our patio couch and I just happened to have camera/macro at hand.

Well Jiminy, it's been a while! That's a pretty darn nice sot.

I have the Canon EF 85mm L. At full blast you have to shoot a lot of pictures to get the ever-so-thin slice of DOF where you want it to be.
Normally, I close it down to 3.5 unless I want that dreamy f/1.2 look. Do not buy that lens. It is heavy, slow focusing and has a learning curve to it.

Edited by martti_s
forgot

On 9/28/2018 at 11:47 AM, jimmy986 said:

But in terms of the 85mm, is there much reason to go up to 85mm 1.4 GM over the 85mm 1.8?

If you have to ask then the answer is probably no. The 85 GM is something specialized that, if you needed it you'd know already and could name the purpose.

Its cost, size and weight put it out of the range where you might think: Well, it might come in handy so I may as well carry it around just in case.