Sensor Block FRIED by battery indipro battery cable!!

Shlyker

Purchased an indipro regulated Sony dummy battery to female barrel connector for a shoot in June from Hot Rod Camera. I was planning to power my camera off of the power out on the handles for my Tilta G1 gimbal. Tested very briefly in store (30 sec) and it worked fine. Took the rig out for this shoot the next morning to a remote location several hours away. Set the rig up and all was well for about 10 minutes, at which point the camera crashed and burned completely. The screen went completely pink and upon any attempt to reboot it would either show solid pink, or a confetti of rgb on the screen in video mode. In photo mode it would give an image that was slowly overtaken by green and magenta noise the longer the camera stayed on. Nightmare. Needless to say the shoot was a complete loss and I took the part back to Hot Rod. They put a volt meter on both the handles (power out) and the cable, but neither showed any voltage issues at that moment. The cable was a little higher than the advertised voltage but I suppose within tolerance. I just cant believe that it could be anything else when the camera I had had for just over a year (1 week out of warranty!) with no issues, could be a complete and total loss after 10 minutes of using this new product.

Hot Rod spent several months going back and forth with Precision Repair (Sony's repair house) but got nowhere. Indipro won't take any responsibility without outside confirmation that it was their product. I'm to the point that I've taken this on myself, and after having sent Precision three emails in two weeks, I've yet to hear a word from anyone there. The fact that Sony's authorized repair facility is this unresponsive and opaque in their process is totally unacceptable to me. I can't believe a company this established has such massively unhelpful customer service. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Is this a total fluke? This is my 4th Sony camera, and 1st that's required any real maintenance, but if this is how things are handled I'm out...