Advice needed: lens (SAL50F14Z) wobbles, what should I do?

fotograver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cBAICAiI74

Hi everyone,

I have a Sony Zeiss lens (SAL50F14Z) that wobbles very badly. I tried to send it to Sony for repair, but the Sony repair center just sent it back and claimed that the wobble is *normal*.

I personally do not believe it is normal, as I don't recall having this wobble before, and my other Sony Zeiss lens doesn't have that.

Could the community give any recommendation what I should do?

If this is really normal, then it's a big design flaw from Sony!

Edited by fotograver

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I think I'd like to give an update of my bad repair experience so that the community knows such a story exists and for me I voice out somewhere.

Story background. My lens had a wobble issue that I sent in for warranty repair (coverage until September 12th, 2018). The Sony authorised repair shop in where I live in Germany is called Herbert Geissler GmbH

1. I sent in the lens for warranty repair on August 13th, 2018 for "front element wobbles, case wobbles."

2. The repair shop Geissler identified the lens condition as "used, scratches", and "focus mechanism" is repaired

3. The lens was returned to my home on September 6th, 2018 2:19pm according to DHL tracking. I arrived home at around 5:30pm to check the package.

4. I noticed that the wobble problem was still there. Feeling unsatisfied for the repair, I made the above video, and wrote an email to Sony and Geissler to complain about the repair at 8:38pm and 8:44pm respectively

5. Geissler service control spokemen, Ramona Stopper, replied on September 12th, 2018, saying the technician said the wobble is normal.

6. Meanwhile, before I got the reply from Geissler, I requested another repair submission on September 10th, 2018 (still under warranty) with the described problem again "Front lens body wobbles front element wobbles". And Sony said that I cannot choose another authorised repair shop, so I had to send the lens to Geissler again.

7. On October 2nd, 2018, Geissler sent me a bill of 834.19 euro for "focus mechanism" repair (again?).

8. I asked Sony service team directly, why there is a bill. The service team said that would get back to me, which they haven't. On November 6th, 2018, Geissler sent in the bill again as a reminder.

9. After giving up on Sony. November 17th, 2018, I wrote to Geissler to ask them to repair the lens under warranty. Things they should have repaired on the first attempt, but have not.

10. Geissler spokemen, Ramona Stopper, replied on November 19th in email that "The damage was not present at the time of the last submission" and "the puncture protection guarantee (warranty) has expired".

11. I explained to Geissler about the nonsense (see footnote**) they are making in an email reply on the November 19th right away with all the document and email PDFs to remind them the facts.

12. On November 21st, 2018, Geissler Administration spokemen, Stefan Wagner, called me to explain that they have some insurance. They could claim the "damage" to their insurance, and I pay only the part of the bill their insurance not covers. I refused, because to me it was clear that Geissler has been doing shady business. In no way I would support their business.

13. Stefan Wagner, wrote in an email that he would get in touch with his manager regarding to the issue and get back to me, which never happened.

14. I wrote Stefan Wagner an email on December 12th, 2018 for an update.

15. On December 14th, 2018 I received a letter that if I don't pay them within 5 days, they will send back an "unrepaired lens", and I will need to pay the bill. Who knows what bill Geissler referred to.

footnote** Unfortunately, neither of these statements is true. The damage has been reported on my first submission. Geissler failed to repair the lens on my first submission, that's why I was sending in the lens again. On top of that, between that time I arrived home to check the lens on Sept 6th and I wrote the complain emails with documenting video, there were not even 4 hours to incur damage. I had not even used the lens. Geissler tried so hard to claim that I have made the damage within these couple hours. Regarding to warrant expiring, the second submission was requested on Sept 10th. The warranty was valid until Sept 12th. Hence the lens was still covered under warranty during the second submission.

======================

That's the end of story. If the community would want me to post of document and email PDFs, I'd be happy to.

I do not expect any result from the forum post. However, I know the internet does not forget, so I want to share my experience, in case there were and there will be other victims who search in the forum.

My conclusion is: Sony may make good high-tech products, but when you make purchases, also think about the services that you may need.

I have been in several decision points between Sony-Zeiss or Leica. After this experience, I'd say Sony product strategy is to treat high-tech products as disposable (which may be true to some extend), and try to cheap-out on services.

As a film shooter, who shoots Zeiss on Minolta a9. I'd definitely steer clear from Sony.