A7RIII Uncompressed Raw File Size

DrJohn

On 9/12/2018 at 9:18 AM, DrJohn said:

I just got a Sony A7RIII. FYI, the uncompressed raw file is about 95 mb.

John

I am a Nikon user thinking of switching to Sony mirrorless and was surprised to learn Sony doesn't have a Lossless compression option. I thought that was standard now across all media options.  Anyway a question I had is the option to convert Sony RAW file format to dng. An if so will that complete the lossless file compression or keep the file at the same size.

Jim

4 hours ago, ejg1890 said:

I am a Nikon user thinking of switching to Sony mirrorless and was surprised to learn Sony doesn't have a Lossless compression option. I thought that was standard now across all media options.  Anyway a question I had is the option to convert Sony RAW file format to dng. An if so will that complete the lossless file compression or keep the file at the same size.

Jim

DxO PhotoLab can convert from Sony RAW to DNG. There appears to be no loss dynamic range however the DNG file contains the results of the DxO Raw conversion (and not the original RAW data). In the case of an A7 Raw file, the file size from conversion increases form 24MB to 168MB (Tiff format is about 144MB).

On 9/13/2018 at 10:21 AM, ejg1890 said:

I am a Nikon user thinking of switching to Sony mirrorless and was surprised to learn Sony doesn't have a Lossless compression option.

How did you learn that?

As I understand it, what Sony calls "uncompressed" is in fact compressed with lossless compression. If it were indeed uncompressed, the files would be larger and always the same size (subtracting out differences in metadata and JPEG preview).