Extracting stills from video?

DrewEllis

Hello, newcomer here :)

So I want to update my Nikon d5300 and I was saving up for the Sony a7 iii.

I do a lot of self portraits and add artistic editing to my shots so RAW format is important for me. I was never involved or have any experience with video. However, taking video of myself rather than stills by myself would make my life much easier in regards to finding that one great shot by extracting it. I know how to do that but my question is whether there is something close to RAW format for videos so that my still will have the same data as If I was taking shots? Is that the s-log?

Thanks in advance ?

The slog and other profiles adjust how the raw video data is saved so you can edit later as you would do with raw in lightroom or capture one. You can see the effect t of the different profiles on the rear screen, try that out.

Now , slog gives You a very “flat” image for you to adjust but does save ,in theory , more dynamic data than a non log profile.as in setting the camera profile to off.

to extract images you want the highest quality video which is determined by the Type or file format.

4K is the best quality and use the highest rate available so 4k-100 rather than 4K-60 as that gives larger files. The other 2k and 1080p formats do not capture as much detail as 4K, although with out zooming in you will be hard pressed to see that by eye on any screen or tv.

With out being technical and pedantic about shutter speeds it goes with out saying the higher the shutter speed the sharper the image as far as movement is concerned BUT a high shutter speed makes a video look choppy

there is tons of free stuff on you tube, I suggest you look for frame rates and shutter speed to get more info. Have look for Casey Ferris he is good source to start with.

hope that helps

Alistair

Sort of correct, except a jpeg is a compressed raw , so a normal profile would be like jpeg and a S-log a raw, the other profiles in your camera are also raw video profiles but different types, test them and you will see, also you will see , I think, the profiles alter jpeg images but not raw ones, so you cam leave the camera on a profile ,for example no6 and not affect the raw but a jpeg will look odd.

from Sony for your info http://helpguide.sony.net/di/pp/v1/en/contents/TP0000909106.html

Slog will help, but it isn't like raw. 

Remember that even in 4k your frames are only about 8 megapixel each.  I have gotten some good frame caps from video, but only in really good light where I was able to go to 1/250 or faster.

JCC