Sony Newb, Need help in finding the right lenses...

Totally new to Sony!  I'm been using Canon for ages, mainly the 5D Mrk III.  Looking for a new compact full frame camera and 3 lenses to go along with it.  My main usage will be for traveling (weight is a concern as I've been using mainly Canon 5D Mrk III, 16-35, Sigma 35 1.4 art & Canon 85 1.8 as my travel gears and it's taken a toll all these years).  I have in mind the A7 iii as body and as for lenses:

1) Sony 85 1.8 (for its compactness & portraits)

2) Sony 12-24 f4 G (landscapes while traveling).  Is this a good choice?

3) 35 f????  Need help with a finding a good 35...(for indoors, food, general walk around) the Sony 35 f 2.8 seems great for size & price but not too sure if I'll be satisfied w/2.8 which may not far well in dim lighting?

Any recommendations to modify my thoughts above?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1) Yes, it's really nice.

2) If you like wide-angle for landscapes and want to travel light, how about Loxia 2.8/21?

3) 35mm is a problem. The f/2.8 ZA is appealingly small and light but it's slow, heavily shaded, and expensive for what you get. The Samyang knock-off is reported to have very similar performance and at a much better price. Or maybe the 2/28?

Don't forget about the1.8/55. It is my general purpose lens. It's very good, light and fairly small.

Thanks thefsb!  I'm looking for AF at this moment only so the Loxia won't be good as it's only manual.  Really, the Sony 35 2.8 is slow and heavily shaded?  Good to know.  I was thinking about the 2/28 also and couldn't decide which focal length is more suitable for general street & indoor photography.

Hi. Won’t go wrong with 85 f1.8. That’s a sure winner...laser sharp. 

The 28 f2 is also a good lens. I would consider that against the 35, but that’s just because I prefer the additional stop and the extra width. 

Feels odd then to have UWA zoom if I have the 28. The 1635 GM is stellar, but I won’t bring it if I’d be travelling light.  I don’t own the 12-24 so cant give my 2 pence on that.  But if I want to save myself the hassle of stitching, then I’d probably go for the Batis 18 f2.8  Wide enough, bearable enough to bring along.  I might suggest to you the Laowa 15 f2.  Until today, one of my greatest regret to sell it.  Yes it’s a MF, but if shooting landscapes, do we really need AF?  

At AF, your choices are limited. I’m not a big Samyang fan so I won’t advice any of them, but that’s just me. 

Hope it helps 

20 hours ago, crysmeth said:
20 hours ago, crysmeth said:

Hi. Won’t go wrong with 85 f1.8. That’s a sure winner...laser sharp. 

The 28 f2 is also a good lens. I would consider that against the 35, but that’s just because I prefer the additional stop and the extra width. 

Feels odd then to have UWA zoom if I have the 28. The 1635 GM is stellar, but I won’t bring it if I’d be travelling light.  I don’t own the 12-24 so cant give my 2 pence on that.  But if I want to save myself the hassle of stitching, then I’d probably go for the Batis 18 f2.8  Wide enough, bearable enough to bring along.  I might suggest to you the Laowa 15 f2.  Until today, one of my greatest regret to sell it.  Yes it’s a MF, but if shooting landscapes, do we really need AF?  

At AF, your choices are limited. I’m not a big Samyang fan so I won’t advice any of them, but that’s just me. 

Hope it helps 

Hi crysmeth, thanks for the feedback.  Sorry for the confusion...when I mean I'm using it for landscapes, it's not on a purist form.  I meant it while traveling and on the move and also with subjects with those pictures (since I'll be traveling w/kids), so I prefer to have AF for simplicity.  Yes, for wide I'm thinking of either 12-24 f4 or 16-35 f4 from Sony.  Haven't fully decided on the 35 yet.  I thought of the 28 f2 as well, but thinking that may be slightly wide, but the f2 is so tempting.  I may go with 85 f1.8, 12-24 f4 & 35 f.28 as they may cover the most bases: traveling light, covers all my focal lengths.  I'm not in a hurry to jump on them yet, but just started my research. 

• 3 weeks later...