alternatives to NP-FW50 batteries

As a Canon user headed to A7rII, it isn't appealing that Sony's NP-FW50 batteries don't last very long.

Sony's vertical grip doubles the capacity by using two NP-FW50 batteries, but that still isn't enough,

but what if Sony or Meike were to offer an optional battery tray that holds 2 LP-E6 batteries.....now THAT would be incredible.

There are several professional solutions to this. See hawkwoods.com for example - their adapter enables the use of vlok or other batteries. Obviously you increase size & weight. And they are not cheap. Personally I steer clear of cheaper 3rd party solutions but these do exist as well.

Lots of solutions to the power "problem" - buying several batteries is often the easiest!

the easiest solution for me is still to buy some more batteries and put a newly loaded one in critical circumstances. there are 3rd party batteries which last long and are cheap. and, of course, buy a real battery charger. the in-camera solution that sony delivers with the camera is a shame.

For normal shooting, simply having multiple batteries is the way to go. Try some of the $8 OEM replacements, based on reviews.

For timelapse I'd suggest a $10 "fw50 coupler" which replaces the battery.

If near a power outlet, use the coupler with your phone charger. If not, use any USB battery pack.

If you already have one of these to charge your phone/tablet, you can probably reduce the number of extra camera batteries you buy since the pack can top-up the camera's power via USB. Current models must be turned off to charge, but the wording of the A7R ii press release suggests it might also charge while powered on.

For a truly unlimited off grid power solution:

Problem solved

... Current models must be turned off to charge, but the wording of the A7R ii press release suggests it might also charge while powered on.

A link in this post today confirms A7Rii can indeed charge while powered on. The only thing you now need is a USB power pack (4x or 6x 18650 batteries inside, around $50) which can be connected anytime to top up the internal battery, or just leave it connected throughout your time lapse.

• 2 weeks later...

If the A7RII allows you to charge when your using it then any number of power packs would work I would think.

I have a very nice 20,000 mAh battery from Anker

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-20000mAh-Aluminum-Multi-Voltage-Technology/dp/B005NGLTZQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1435712214&sr=1-9&keywords=Anker+battery

There is also this more compact one from Anker.

http://www.amazon.com/15000mAh-External-Battery-Portable-Charger/dp/B00D5T3QK4

I use these with my iPhone and iPad when I travel long distances or go away for a weekend.

The lifetime doesn't always scale but at 20,000 mHh you should get well over 5,000 shots on a single charge.

As a Canon user headed to A7rII, it isn't appealing that Sony's NP-FW50 batteries don't last very long.

Sony's vertical grip doubles the capacity by using two NP-FW50 batteries, but that still isn't enough,

but what if Sony or Meike were to offer an optional battery tray that holds 2 LP-E6 batteries.....now THAT would be incredible.

Cool idea, but one detail will never fly:

Battery packs are proprietary. Sony ain't

gonna help you put Canon batteries into

a Sony camera :- )

The usual version of your idea, when it is

actually implemented, is a big proprietary

battery pack unique to the large chamber

that receives it, like you find on the top of

the line monster SLRs.

It's not unimaginable for Sony [or Fuji etc]

to produce an add-on version of these huge

battery kits, maybe only 2/3 as big, for use