SAL-70200G2 vs SEL70200GM

Maki85

Hi everybody

Does somebody ever compared the Sony 70-200 G SSM II with an LA-EA4 to the Sony 70-200 GM?
Both lenses have an max. aperture of 2.8.

How is the performance on a A7R II or III (IQ, af-speed)? This is what's interests me, because i got a G SSM II, and the price I will get for it is not the half I paid...

Thanks

Maki85

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 1:04 PM, Maki85 said:

Hi everybody

Does somebody ever compared the Sony 70-200 G SSM II with an LA-EA4 to the Sony 70-200 GM?
Both lenses have an max. aperture of 2.8.

How is the performance on a A7R II or III (IQ, af-speed)? This is what's interests me, because i got a G SSM II, and the price I will get for it is not the half I paid...

Thanks

Maki85

If you go to DXomark.com you can compare a lot of modern lenses. Below a screenprint of a comparison of the 2 lenses. The FE lens is superior in sharpness according to this independent website. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Lescatalpas

11 minutes ago, Lescatalpas said:

If you go to DXomark.com you can compare a lot of modern lenses. Below a screenprint of a comparison of the 2 lenses. The FE lens is superior in sharpness according to this independent website. 

First: those are test-charts in a laboratory - who cares about a laboratory test? I don't, because of a field test is more interesting.
Second: I'd like a comparison between the G2 and the GM, not the G1!

3 hours ago, Maki85 said:

who cares about a laboratory test?

DXO exposes their complete methodology of how their tests are conducted. The same way for all lenses, which makes their results comparable.

It appears, you don't believe in science at all. It's just like someone saying, that he doesn't believe in gravity. Good luck with that attitude.

Edited by Chrissie

Here you get the reason, why I do not belive in lab test. The same lens performs on different bodies different!

Conclusion: You can not compare the SAL-70200G2 on the Alpha 99II with the SEL-70200GM on the A7RII...

Or is there somebody who can explain me those results. Why is there such a difference between the sensor size in sharpness?

1 hour ago, Maki85 said:

Conclusion: You can not compare the SAL-70200G2 on the Alpha 99II with the SEL-70200GM on the A7RII...

Of course you can. 

All else being equal, this way you can separate the influence of the body on a lens-body combination. It would indeed be foolish, to expect the same result for a lens if different bodies are used.

For example:

The A6000 has a sensor resolution of 24 MPix. Combined with the FE 85mm 1.8 (your example) you can realize 18 P-Mpix, which is about 75% of the resolution of the sensor itself. This is only an APS-C, btw..

The A7R has a sensor resolution of 36.4 MPix. Combined with the FE 85mm 1.8 (your example) you can realize 29 P-Mpix, which is about 80% of the resolution of the sensor itself.

The a7Rii has a sensor resolution of 42 MPix. Combined with the FE 85mm 1.8 (your example) you can realize 40 P-Mpix, which is about 95% of the resolution of the sensor itself.

If you consider Dxo's description of how those values are measured(!):

For each focal length and aperture of the lens, we take pictures at 60 different focusing positions around the focusing point set by the camera’s autofocus system.

one might conclude that the A7RII has a superior autofocus compared to the A7R, which is why it can exploit its sensor capabilities so much better, at 95% of sensor resolution compared to 80% for the A7R.

So, using the same body  and swapping lenses makes lenses comparable.

Using the same lens and swapping bodies makes bodies comparable.

This is how scientists work. Separating the influence of one parameter from the influences of other parameters. The principle behind this is "ceteris paribus", or "all else being equal".

It has nothing to do with "believing" or "liking".

14 hours ago, Chrissie said:

This is how scientists work. Separating the influence of one parameter from the influences of other parameters. The principle behind this is "ceteris paribus", or "all else being equal".

I really do know how good scientists works. ONE parameter. In your screenshot you compare the SAL on a A99II with the SEL on a A7RII. What I like to know is, how the SAL-70200G2 performs on the A7RIII with an LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 comparised to the SEL-70200GM. We can not use all AF-functions, that I know now. But what is about the IQ?

You are located in Switzerland. If you own the SEL and if you live near the lake of Constance, I'd like to meet you for a comparison. Write me a pm.

Thanks.