Solar Imaging

DrJohn

I get the same results from my Sony A7III and Sony Lenses as I did with Nikon and Nikon lenses. I think the problem is atmospheric. I live in a valley. At night, I cannot see any stars because there is alway a fog overhead. It seems that the fog is here even during the daytime. Below is a photo of the sun using the Thousand Oaks solar filter.

Has anyone gotten any better and from what location?

John

(Sony A7III, 70-300 mm FX at 300 mm, f/5.6, 1/4 sec, ISO 200)

(Thousand Oaks Optical 72 mm White Solar Filter)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That is only one of many images. I tried various exposures. All have that ring around them. Others in my area confirmed the cloudy/misty skies. A few hours after this posting, the sky became very dark. The sun couldn't even be seen.

John

• 4 months later...

It might already be so. I searched for photos from this area and never saw the clear sky that created such hard shadows in my images as I've gotten in the north of the USA. In some parts of Germany the sky is also rarely pure blue, caused by fog (f.e. valley of the Danube) ond/or dense air traffic.

Edited by threerivers
sentence incomplete

On 8/26/2018 at 7:02 PM, DrJohn said:

I live in a valley. At night, I cannot see any stars because there is alway a fog overhead. It seems that the fog is here even during the daytime.

8< ---------------------- snip ------------------->8

Has anyone gotten any better and from what location?

Living in a valley implies, you are surrounded by mountains. Have you ever tried to climb one of those mountains and shoot from there?   Note my tagline  ;-)

1 hour ago, Chrissie said:

Living in a valley implies, you are surrounded by mountains. Have you ever tried to climb one of those mountains and shoot from there?   Note my tagline  ;-)

Sure I considered it. But, I don't have the energy any longer to climb. I'm still dealing with the after affects of Lyme disease.

John

14 minutes ago, DrJohn said:

I don't have the energy any longer to climb.

I regret to hear that.

But, provided you can still drive around, or have someone who can take you somewhere, it's always worthwile to get to a position as high up as possible for any kind of celestial observations. Because the lowest parts of the atmosphere tend to be the "thickest", haziest, foggiest and most polluted. It gets better the higher you go. For night sky views (stars) and/or shots it's advisable to select a place as far away from any artificial light source, like human dwellings.

Good luck with your recovery.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Here's a shot I took of sunspot AR2738 using an ILCE-7RM2, FE 100-400 G OSS with a Thousand Oaks Optical filter.
I was sitting on a bench in the garden and took to picture hand held.  The camera was on Manual (ISO 64, 1/800s @f/5.6)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi,

Thanks. 

I tried several combinations of exposure and aperture before I got that result.  I found that leaving the camera on auto wasn’t an option. I’m trying to take a photo through my Lunt solar telescope, but the T-mount adapter I have doesn’t allow me to  get to the focus point. I’ve just ordered a ‘slimmer’ T-adapter that’s specifically designed for astrophotography. I’ll post any results.......If they’re successfull!!

I've had this problem many times. Usually, the telescope doesn't have enough back focus. Sometimes the T-adapater needs to be longer. Sometimes, shorter. Sometimes I've given up with that telescope.

I would call Lunt and tell them which telescope and camera you are using. Maybe they can make a suggestion.

John