A7RIII - update

I have a Sony A7RIII. Yesterday I updated the camera firmware from 1.01 to 1.1. I only use the FE 100-400 F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens, which practically does not shoot the camera because I photograph birds. Today when I go out to photograph I felt the camera in the auto focus is taking a little longer to focus. Has anyone had this experience before?

1 hour ago, ScarlettFeverr said:

Focus problems with this model are a known issue

Are you referring to the body, or the lens? The reason why I'm asking is, that I'm having persistent autofocus issues with the same lens on an a9 body, when trying to shoot birds in flight. Both components are on the latest firmware.

Responding to Chrissie, it looks like the A9 really has a problem in this regard. Mine is an A7RIII and what happened was that I got a LENS COAT for the 100-400 and my hand was squeezing one of the FOCUS-HOLD BUTON of the lens. But until I discovered the reason for the problems, it was a stress. Now, as Scarllet Feverr says in her posting in response to my first posting, "Some focus modes are worse than others."  Thank You.

8 hours ago, ScarlettFeverr said:

You may want to have a look at the comments.

Thanks, Scarlett, for this pointer.

Obviously, both body and lens must play in harmony with each other. Other than updating to the latest firmware I didn't find any significant info in this video. Other, maybe, that moving "big amounts of glass" to achieve continuous focus is slower than having small amounts of glass to be moved around by the autofocus.

The 100-400GM probably falling into the former category would make this a not so well suited lens for shooting fast moving birds (of prey) in flight. Not exactly what this combo was advertised for.  I'm actually quite disappointed in this regard. 8-(

And in the hopes that this does not drift too far off-topic: "Some focus modes are worse than others.": if the task is "Birds in Flight", I would expect AF-C to be the focus mode of choice.

• 1 month later...

I originally had a problem getting quick accurate focus with my Sony a7RM3, but through this board figured out the settings that produce very good results with this camera/lens combination. More can be found at:

My revelation was that it was just as important to turn stuff off, as it was to turn stuff on. For instance: face recognition, Lock On, and "expand flexible spot" should all be turned off, or not used. Just actions that cause the camera to be distracted from its main objective. Depending on how you have set your drive mode the camera may be trying to take these tasks into consideration 8 or 10 times/second, while also calculating exposure and focus. A bit much to ask. Also, more light is good. Shoot wide open. I'm very happy with the results.